The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Is the Keele Key bus ticket worth it?

Hey,
I live in stoke and dont currently have a car so getting to Keele is a bit inconvenient, I've read a lot about the Keele bus key and was wondering if it was worth it?
If I had it then I'd be able to get to hanley station, then to keele and then back, it also mentions I'd be able to use First buses and D&G buses anywhere in stoke and crewe.
This is all for about £340 for a year, is the price worth it?
I'm gonna be taking my driving theory in november and I'll probably take my driving test late next year so I'd need a method of transport till then.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,
I live in stoke and dont currently have a car so getting to Keele is a bit inconvenient, I've read a lot about the Keele bus key and was wondering if it was worth it?
If I had it then I'd be able to get to hanley station, then to keele and then back, it also mentions I'd be able to use First buses and D&G buses anywhere in stoke and crewe.
This is all for about £340 for a year, is the price worth it?
I'm gonna be taking my driving theory in november and I'll probably take my driving test late next year so I'd need a method of transport till then.

if you're taking your driving test late next year it sounds like you wouldn't be driving until the next academic year (this upcoming one ends in June 2022) so I'd say it'd probably be worth getting the Keele key for £340, In terms of bus pricing that price is highly competitive with the first bus student year which is £360 although with the Keele key you'd get the added benefit of D&G busses. Not sure how the 25 runs post-Covid but pre-Covid the 25 bus would operate a bus between Keele-Newcastle Bus Station- Hanley every 15 minutes and the 25 bus has multiple stops across the Keele campus so you should be able to get off closer to your lecture building.

If you only wanted to use the bus pass for travel to and from university then most students are at Keele for an academic year of 37 weeks and most of these courses only have 24 total teaching weeks (+4 weeks to cover in person exams) so at 28 weeks the Keele Key bus pass would be costing you £12.14 a week/£2.40 per day for the time you'd use it and if you're taking 4 busses per day (1 bus to get to Hanley station, 1 bus to get to Keele, 1 bus to get to Hanley, 1 bus to get home) then each bus would effectively cost 0.60p a journey so in my personal opinion if you won't be taking your driving test until late next year and even if you just want to use the pass to get to and from university the price would be worth it.

The only problem would be the travel times as when I was living in stoke (Tunstall) it'd take an Hour to take the bus to Keele and the same back so 2 hours a day whereas a car would take about 20 minutes each way. If you can't drive yet then alternative options to save time would be to take a taxi (pretty expensive) or to car share with someone from your course who lives locally. Otherwise the journey time on a bus does give you some time to prepare for your lectures/exams.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by therandomperson
if you're taking your driving test late next year it sounds like you wouldn't be driving until the next academic year (this upcoming one ends in June 2022) so I'd say it'd probably be worth getting the Keele key for £340, In terms of bus pricing that price is highly competitive with the first bus student year which is £360 although with the Keele key you'd get the added benefit of D&G busses. Not sure how the 25 runs post-Covid but pre-Covid the 25 bus would operate a bus between Keele-Newcastle Bus Station- Hanley every 15 minutes and the 25 bus has multiple stops across the Keele campus so you should be able to get off closer to your lecture building.

If you only wanted to use the bus pass for travel to and from university then most students are at Keele for an academic year of 37 weeks and most of these courses only have 24 total teaching weeks (+4 weeks to cover in person exams) so at 28 weeks the Keele Key bus pass would be costing you £12.14 a week/£2.40 per day for the time you'd use it and if you're taking 4 busses per day (1 bus to get to Hanley station, 1 bus to get to Keele, 1 bus to get to Hanley, 1 bus to get home) then each bus would effectively cost 0.60p a journey so in my personal opinion if you won't be taking your driving test until late next year and even if you just want to use the pass to get to and from university the price would be worth it.

The only problem would be the travel times as when I was living in stoke (Tunstall) it'd take an Hour to take the bus to Keele and the same back so 2 hours a day whereas a car would take about 20 minutes each way. If you can't drive yet then alternative options to save time would be to take a taxi (pretty expensive) or to car share with someone from your course who lives locally. Otherwise the journey time on a bus does give you some time to prepare for your lectures/exams.

Thank you for your reply!!
I've been thinking about it and asked my older sister about it as well and it does seem worth it.
I think I'll just buy a week pass and see how it goes and then depending on that I'll buy the year one, the deal seems really good as well since I can also just use it to get to Hanley and visit the potteries if I wanted or anywhere else. I also don't mind about the time taken to get there since I'd just read a book along the way or, as you said, prepare for the exam/lecture.
Thank u for your advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest