eyeoftiger999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel lost, upset and just confused at this point in time. I feel like nothing is going my way and that I’ve made a big mistake and I cannot even put in words fully how I feel, I feel like a failure.

Basically, I picked business management as a course in uni but I came to the realisation that it isn’t really a strong degree to have and I suddenly got an interest in law. I’ve just started uni and I requested to transfer to law but it was oversubscribed and now I don’t even know what I am going to do. They said I can change next year and start law in 2022 but thats another year in uni and i’ll have to pay more money to do the course.

I need solutions on what I can do right now because I just feel lost if I am 100% honest. I don’t even know if I’ll have a passion for business management and what I can even do with it in the future but I am just asking for anyone to advise me or if they’ve been through what I am going through to help me out because right now, it would be really useful as I don’t want to wait 4 years to finish uni.

Thankyou
Shy100
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s alright student loan can cover it
It doesn’t go on your credit check or history ( whatever it’s called )
Make sure you research and properly know that you want to do law, there’s no point doing something u don’t like and also see if your uni is good for law, u need to think of other factors too in terms of employability if you do go ahead with law
Last edited by Shy100; 1 month ago
eyeoftiger999
Rep:
?
yes law is very employable and i need to look into the courses more but its just the fact that I have to study for another 4 years, which is a very long time and having to wait till next year to start year 1 is very demotivating aswell
eyeoftiger999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shy100)
It’s alright student loan can cover it
It doesn’t go on your credit check or history ( whatever it’s called )
Make sure you research and properly know that you want to do law, there’s no point doing something u don’t like and also see if your uni is good for law, u need to think of other factors too in terms of employability if you do go ahead with law
yes law is very employable and i need to look into the courses more but its just the fact that I have to study for another 4 years, which is a very long time and having to wait till next year to start year 1 is very demotivating aswell
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by eyeoftiger999)
I feel lost, upset and just confused at this point in time. I feel like nothing is going my way and that I’ve made a big mistake and I cannot even put in words fully how I feel, I feel like a failure.

Basically, I picked business management as a course in uni but I came to the realisation that it isn’t really a strong degree to have and I suddenly got an interest in law. I’ve just started uni and I requested to transfer to law but it was oversubscribed and now I don’t even know what I am going to do. They said I can change next year and start law in 2022 but thats another year in uni and i’ll have to pay more money to do the course.

I need solutions on what I can do right now because I just feel lost if I am 100% honest. I don’t even know if I’ll have a passion for business management and what I can even do with it in the future but I am just asking for anyone to advise me or if they’ve been through what I am going through to help me out because right now, it would be really useful as I don’t want to wait 4 years to finish uni.

Thankyou
I was in your exact boat few years back but I stuck with my degree because I had no clue how to get out of it. I'd avoid doing Business honestly unless you apply for a graduate scheme or undergrad placement after 2nd year. The jobs you can do are just very broad and you need experience.

Student Finance confirmed the situation?
Have you contacted SFE and asked them if you leave before the term ends what will happen with the funding, they are your people to go to.

Leaving Uni and finding a job
If you leave University then could you somehow get a job at a law firm there surely even doing admin so at least any office experience would be good. Then start year 1 next year. Treat it as a Gap year where you earn money.

Law Degree
https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/career...ng-a-solicitor
Doing a Law Degree it's 3 years. Then is it the SQE now and not LPC (4 Years in total including a degree) then you have to find a training contract too? Now I don't know if the SQE is more easier than the LPC.
Last edited by Ash1234; 1 month ago
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Law is 3 years then +1 year for Lpc/SQE then also finding a training contract. Leave the Business Degree and do a gap year to work in a Law firm or any other place that pay somewhat well. You'd rather make the decision to not do a Business Degree now then in 3 years. If you to ahead with Business then you'll have to do a Law conversion course which will cost you. At the moment 3 years course won't cost you technically as it will be funded by SFE.
eyeoftiger999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ash1234)
Law is 3 years then +1 year for Lpc/SQE then also finding a training contract. Leave the Business Degree and do a gap year to work in a Law firm or any other place that pay somewhat well. You'd rather make the decision to not do a Business Degree now then in 3 years. If you to ahead with Business then you'll have to do a Law conversion course which will cost you. At the moment 3 years course won't cost you technically as it will be funded by SFE.
so what kind of jobs can i do at the law firm and where do i go to find one
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so what kind of jobs can i do at the law firm and where do i go to find one
It depends where you live, what law firms and how big they are in you area or your commutable distance to travel to the workplace. It's likely to be basic admin or clerical file related, calls to insurance companies, secretary style.. you need to go on Indeed or Reed or any other job website or to directly to any law companies in your area and see the job adverts. In your "gap year" you don't need to just work at a law firm but you could work anywhere else that has a vacancy and you get a job even at a supermarket. You may even need experience prior to applying for even these jobs so you have to check the requirements. I feel if you are taking a gap year then maybe some law experience might be good? What about a 1 year apprenticeship in something totally unrelated, just make sure with student finance there's no issue with that.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Careers in Law : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ors/law-sector
eyeoftiger999
Rep:
?
It depends where you live, what law firms and how big they are in you area or your commutable distance to travel to the workplace. It's likely to be basic admin or clerical file related, calls to insurance companies, secretary style.. you need to go on Indeed or Reed or any other job website or to directly to any law companies in your area and see the job adverts. In your "gap year" you don't need to just work at a law firm but you could work anywhere else that has a vacancy and you get a job even at a supermarket. You may even need experience prior to applying for even these jobs so you have to check the requirements. I feel if you are taking a gap year then maybe some law experience might be good? What about a 1 year apprenticeship in something totally unrelated, just make sure with student finance there's no issue with that.
what about if i do this one year in business and reapply for law in ucas and just start fresh, year 1 in law in 2022. What do you think about that
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what about if i do this one year in business and reapply for law in ucas and just start fresh, year 1 in law in 2022. What do you think about that
Yes that sounds like an idea, will Student Finance cover you??? If so yeah go ahead if you feel you won't be able to find a job during the 1 year gap year.
eyeoftiger999
Rep:
?
Yes that sounds like an idea, will Student Finance cover you??? If so yeah go ahead if you feel you won't be able to find a job during the 1 year gap year.
thats what i will most likely do but thankyou for your wffort. you care to explain to me ur story and what u did in uni and how you got through it?
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thats what i will most likely do but thankyou for your wffort. you care to explain to me ur story and what u did in uni and how you got through it?
I did a business related course and had struggled to find a grad related job as the course was so broad so I'd highly avoid doing Business. You find the jobs if you don't get into a grad schemes. Find a company and work your way up into roles that you want. If I was to change my experience then I would do a second degree in something health related or do an apprenticeship straight after graduating.
eyeoftiger999
Rep:
?
I did a business related course and had struggled to find a grad related job as the course was so broad so I'd highly avoid doing Business. You find the jobs if you don't get into a grad schemes. Find a company and work your way up into roles that you want. If I was to change my experience then I would do a second degree in something health related or do an apprenticeship straight after graduating.
what is it ur currently doing now?
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what is it ur currently doing now?
A job that doesn't require a degree 🤣 says it all doesn't it. But I think that's the case with alot of graduates they fall into jobs that are not related to their degree...if your looking for a structured career like you want to be a solicitor or a barrister then the Law Degree is the way to go (I know there is a non-uni route to become a solicitor too)
eyeoftiger999
Rep:
?
A job that doesn't require a degree 🤣 says it all doesn't it. But I think that's the case with alot of graduates they fall into jobs that are not delayed to their degree...if your looking for a structured career like you want to be a solicitor or a barrister then the Law Degree is the way to go (I know there is a non-uni route to become a solicitor too)
thankyou for your time and effort, it means so much, I will take what you have said into consideration.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thankyou
Hi Eyeoftiger999

It's really hard when you've realised that you're doing something that you don't want to be doing but it's good that you have recognised that and now you can think of things to do.

I know you have asked for a straight change (and been told that it is oversubscribed) but have you thought about asking your university if you can do a dual degree instead? That means a business and law degree combined. Not all universities offer it but it may be worth asking. Your university may not be able to offer a full change, but there may be some clever timetabling that will offer you a dual option. That is worth asking about. (You will have to also ask about whether it would be a qualifying degree or not).

If that doesn't work, you can always consider completing the business degree and then doing a law conversion course afterwards (one year)- if you want to be a solicitor, it will be the SQE route but if you want to be a barrister, it will be the GDL route. You don't have to have a law degree to work in law.

If you don't fancy doing an extra year, you may consider leaving your current course (discuss the financial implications of this with your uni) and training either via the apprenticeship route (which ULaw will be doing soon) or the CILEX route (https://www.cilex.org.uk/).

There is a great route map into law at this site: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-...l-Career-Paths

Whatever you do, don't feel disheartened, there is still lots that can be done- have a sit down with your careers advisor at your uni and they will help you find the right path!

Best of luck with it all!

Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thankyou
Before i started my degree pgm, i made a list of careers i would consider. Law was one of them, so was engineering, medicine, and a few others. I contacted the professional societies for each profession, and asked them to put me in touch with 4 to 6 degreed professionals in their area - who had held degrees and been employed in their professions for 5 to 7 years, and who would be willing to talk to me about their careers. In due course, i received a list of contact information from each society, and contacted the references. I made up a list of questions: "How much do you make"?, What would you do differently in your education, if you had it to do over, where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, what other professions did you consider before doing your degree in xxxx, have you lived/worked overseas, did you enjoy it, what were the advantages/disadvantages, what do you like about doing xxxyyy, what do you dislike, what other areas of your profession have you participated in, how did you enjoy that area ..... I visited each reference in their home or professional offices, asked my questions - plus any others that occurred to me on the spot, i usually tape recorded the interview, but a couple of times i wrote down the questions (if they were new), plus the answers. I went home and typed up the questions/answers and read them over several times. It seems to me that you might benefit from such an exercise, in helping you to decide what you want to do with your life. I did my exercise whilst i was 'at school', but it's never too late - particularly when you are in the first few years of an undergraduate program.

After earning my bachelor's degree, i worked for several years, and then decided to go back and get a master's degree in my specialty [engineering]. Here in the states - so long as your graduate study is somewhat related to your bachelor's degree, your employer will usually pay the tuition (and often the books) for any graduate work you choose to do - so long as your grades are satisfactory. As i was working full time [as well as traveling about 1/3 of the time - all over the US and Canada - and also because (at that time) i wasn't that good a student - i didn't feel that i could work & carry more than one graduate course at a time, so that was all i took. Consequently, it took me about 7 years to complete my master's degree, but i enjoyed it. In doing my 'career choice' exercise - i learned a lot about different aspects of each profession that i considered. Best of luck!!!
Joleee
Badges: 19
?
Report 1 month ago
you don't have a passion for business management but you also don't have a passion for law; i'm guessing that is the case since you don't know much about academic law and said you have to look into the course, is that correct? where has this sudden desire for studying academic law come from?

do you want to work in law, is that what you're thinking (fyi you don't need a law degree for that)? or is it because an LLB is more transferable to what you want to do?

you don't want to spend that extra year at uni so your options are you either withdraw from your course and reapply next year or look to see if you can transfer to a different degree which is available. re working at a law firm in your gap year, hate to be the wet blanket but that isn't going to happen, sorry. law firms require experience, even the receptionist. just fyi.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (234)
57.35%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (52)
12.75%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.82%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.41%

Watched Threads