harleenm99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently taking maths, bio and chem and I'm planning on changing chem to history. I'm not sure what to study at university but I know it won't be medicine, therefore I thought having 2 science A levels wouldn't be useful. I originally wasn't going to take history because of the amount of essay writing, but now I'm considering changing to it as I really enjoyed it at GCSE. I don't really enjoy chemistry but I do better in it than in essay based subjects. Someone who studies one or both of the subjects, could you advise me on which would be better?
Gabriel-01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did chemistry at college, and I remember in the early days that I just wanted to drop it. It does get better and more interesting though if you stick with it. I haven’t done history so can’t help you there, but if you think you would prefer history then you will probably get more out of it in the long run. Although you may be better at non-essay subjects now, that can change and you might end up getting a better grade in history (a subject which you like, and so will be better motivated for) than you would have got for chemistry. If you still want to do something in STEM at uni, maths is considered a science so that door is still open if you drop chemistry.
harleenm99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Gabriel-01)
I did chemistry at college, and I remember in the early days that I just wanted to drop it. It does get better and more interesting though if you stick with it. I haven’t done history so can’t help you there, but if you think you would prefer history then you will probably get more out of it in the long run. Although you may be better at non-essay subjects now, that can change and you might end up getting a better grade in history (a subject which you like, and so will be better motivated for) than you would have got for chemistry. If you still want to do something in STEM at uni, maths is considered a science so that door is still open if you drop chemistry.
Thank you for the advice I plan on studying law or finance, therefore I thought changing bio and chem to business and history would be a good idea. The only thing stopping me was the essay writing in history, and that I didn't do business GCSE, so I wasn't confident I could get a good grade for them in comparison to bio and chem, which I can try to do well in even if I don't enjoy it. Since universities consider the grades first, I simply wanted to do subjects that I can do well in instead of what I would enjoy, which is why I'm conflicted.
Gabriel-01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see. The majority of schools don’t offer business GCSE, so most people that do it at A level have no previous knowledge anyway. I’d say definitely change one of your subjects to business/history if you want to do law. Having both would make your application more competitive. Possibly keep maths as it sounds that you’re a more maths orientated person and you can always use it to your advantage in your personal statement. Hope that helps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.73%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (61)
13.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (40)
8.71%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise