_Mortex_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Currently doing bio, chem and maths at A level and I'm getting predicted 3A*. For UCL and imperial, their only subject entry requirement for computer science is an A* in maths. I know most students that actually apply for compsci have further maths or compsci as an A level which got me thinking whether I'm at a disadvantage or not. I don't know whether the departments like students that have further maths or compsci. I wanna hear your guys opinions, I don't know whether I should be worried about it or not.
Last edited by _Mortex_; 4 weeks ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...y-requirements

They do pretty clearly say that further maths is recommended. Then again, they also say physics is recommended, and personally I think that's complete crap. I don't see how it could be helpful.

If your school doesn't offer further maths, that should be mentioned in the reference. Otherwise I would recommend you switch to it, because if you don't think you can handle further maths you're not going to handle STEP.
_Mortex_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...y-requirements

They do pretty clearly say that further maths is recommended. Then again, they also say physics is recommended, and personally I think that's complete crap. I don't see how it could be helpful.

If your school doesn't offer further maths, that should be mentioned in the reference. Otherwise I would recommend you switch to it, because if you don't think you can handle further maths you're not going to handle STEP.
Switching to it now would just create more stress than there already is. Also do they make you do STEP as well? I know of the Institutions own test that they ask you to do but not STEP as part of the admissions process. They may give it alongside your offer but I'm not sure if its given before hand. My main concern isn't the mathematical side of things, If I need to learn new conecpts for the exam and do extra reading I'm happy to do so, its just whether they will look at my application and think that this student doesn't do further maths, so he's not really a priority.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _Mortex_)
Switching to it now would just create more stress than there already is. Also do they make you do STEP as well? I know of the Institutions own test that they ask you to do but not STEP as part of the admissions process. They may give it alongside your offer but I'm not sure if its given before hand. My main concern isn't the mathematical side of things, If I need to learn new conecpts for the exam and do extra reading I'm happy to do so, its just whether they will look at my application and think that this student doesn't do further maths, so he's not really a priority.
The year's barely started, when I was in year 12 I didn't switch to further maths until a month and a half in. Everything else being the same (not that that ever happens), your application would be stronger if it had further maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (155)
54.96%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.54%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.22%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.61%

Watched Threads