How often do uni students go home during the academic year?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am about 70 miles away from home and the return train tickets are £20, so how often should or can I go home? Cos my flatmate goes home every 2 weeks, but maybe because of covid I thought it was "normal" to go back twice a year for Christmas and summer...what would you say the "normal" about of times prr-covid would be?
candidate415
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I go home every 2 weeks for the weekend; i go home Friday afternoon on the train and back on Sunday.
nathan1403
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think there's huge differences between people. Some students go home every weekend, and some only go home for a week or two for Christmas. I personally went home over the summer and for Christmas, as well as once or twice during each term. It all depends on what you want to do, maybe you'll end up missing your family loads or maybe you won't feel a need to go home at all.
Last edited by nathan1403; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nathan1403)
I think there's huge differences between people. Some students go home every weekend, and some only go home for a week or two for Christmas. I personally went home over the summer and for Christmas, as well as once or twice during each term. It all depends on what you want to do, maybe you'll end up missing your family loads or maybe you won't feel a need to go home at all.
I see...tbh i am feeling quite homesick and I really want to go home every month or so when the tickets are cheap 😭
lol.yolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends both on how far away you are and the student. I'll be going to uni the other end of the country and so only expect to go home for Christmas and summer. Two of my friends are at the same uni, about two hours away from home. One would spend every other weekend at home and the other went home for holidays, family birthdays and a couple other times during term. Another friend was at uni only about an hour away from our hometown but would only go home for holidays.

Edit: feeling homesick sucks but from what I've heard from homesick students they find it better if they just ride the feeling out and not visit home as often at the start as it only offers temporary relief and they'd go back to uni feeling worse. Its difficult but try to get settled in first and then visit home more often when the homesickness passes
Last edited by lol.yolo; 1 month ago
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am about 70 miles away from home and the return train tickets are £20, so how often should or can I go home? Cos my flatmate goes home every 2 weeks, but maybe because of covid I thought it was "normal" to go back twice a year for Christmas and summer...what would you say the "normal" about of times prr-covid would be?
I see...tbh i am feeling quite homesick and I really want to go home every month or so when the tickets are cheap 😭
Hey @Anonymous.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing some homesickness right now- happens to us all and it's so normal to feel it!

I'd definitely say there is no set number of times you should go home, there's only what is right for you. As long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to keep doing your uni work, there's no reason you can't head home for more than christmas and summer, most people do!

The only hitch with heading home is that it can mean you find yourself experiencing that same homesickness each time you head back. I might suggest getting involved with some societies and socials within uni. Keeping busier and meeting people can make uni a really fun and engaging place to be, and help you settle into your new surroundings a little more. Even finding a job, or cultivating a new hobby can help pass some time alongside university work. And don't forget, you can always call or videochat family, friends and loved ones back home to help support you whilst you're at university too!

Hope this helps and good luck with your university experience

Ceri (3rd year WECs student at Suffolk)
adept1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is different for everyone. I leave at the end of each term and spend the breaks at home (Christmas, Easter, summer) as it allows me to distance myself from my 'work' environment. Some of my flatmates stayed put for the entirety of the year - this is perfectly normal to do, so long as your accommodation contract allows it. I had another flatmate who would go home at random intervals, and we wouldn't see them again for up to two weeks sometimes!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
It just depends on what you want to do and how far the travel is, there's no right or wrong answer and you'll probably find your availability changing throughout the year (you may rather stay in uni during exam times or when you have a lot of work on). Just go with what suits you.

Most will usually head back over christmas and summer. Personally my uni was really close to home so i used to head back probably once a week or every other week (less if busy with work) just for a day or afternoon. It was a great opportunity to get some laundry done too.
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
During my undergrad I typically went home just after the Christmas break started and went back about a week early. Second year was somewhat corrupted by COVID, so I went home in the Easter break as I had planned anyway - but just stayed at home instead! Same thing in third year after Christmas too, when a lockdown was imposed (didn't return back to my uni accommodation for five months!). I should add that in first year, I also went home for a weekend a few weeks into my first term, and also for a few days once my exams were over in the summer. If train tickets are that cheap, there's nothing stopping you from going home more often than I did, but I'd recommend not making it a regular thing outside of breaks between terms, because you'll probably make your homesickness worse in the long-term that way.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you need to establish whether going home helps or hinders you. For some people, going home helps immensely with homesickness and they go back to uni refreshed; for others, going home sets them back because they don't want to return to uni after visiting and it's generally a big upheaval every week/month. Maybe go home once and see how you feel - if it makes you feel worse to go home, try to have bigger gaps between visits.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would say stick it out until half term/reading week Then try and wait till Christmas. By then homesickness should have passed. Maybe get family to visit you for a day one weekend so you can show them around your new town.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (236)
57.42%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
10.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.76%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.38%

Watched Threads