Likelihood of getting a lower offer from Exeter?

Watch
silverflowers
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to apply to Exeter’s Physics Bsc, but they’ve moved the grades up for 2022 entry from AAA to A*AA. However on their website they have an entry requirements range of A*AA-AAB which is completely separate from the contextual requirements so they must give people AAA/AAB offers. I really want to be able to use Exeter as an insurance (grades AAA or below), does anyone know how to get one of these lower offers or how many people do? Have you had a lower offer - why do you think you got it? Thanks!

I’ve posted the same thing on the Exeter forum so apologies if you see it twice
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by silverflowers)
I want to apply to Exeter’s Physics Bsc, but they’ve moved the grades up for 2022 entry from AAA to A*AA. However on their website they have an entry requirements range of A*AA-AAB which is completely separate from the contextual requirements so they must give people AAA/AAB offers. I really want to be able to use Exeter as an insurance (grades AAA or below), does anyone know how to get one of these lower offers or how many people do? Have you had a lower offer - why do you think you got it? Thanks!

I’ve posted the same thing on the Exeter forum so apologies if you see it twice
I'm not sure how anyone would know yet - Exeter is pretty clear in their entry info that the range reflects the number and ability of their applicants to the course. I would assume the rise this year reflects this summer's jump in grades.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Email Exeter and ask them what the A*AA / AAB grades are based on.
And if they give you something 'each application is assessed for an individual offer' - dont apply.

Increasingly Unis are publishing daft entry requirements like this which can actually be translated as 'We want to appear 'competitive' as other Unis are asking for A* grades, but in reality we'll make random offers so that we have covered all options for Results Day when anything could happen."

Exeter is particulary noted by Admissions staff for 'silly games' over the years - underhand incentives for going Firm, poaching applicants who have already accepted a Clearing place at another Uni, and a hundred other dodgy tricks. Approach with caution.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
often you can get offers being predicted one or two grades below the standard offer. Depends how subscribed the course is. How grade inflation will influence this no-one knows yet.

I don't think I'd avoid applying to a university just because of dodgy admissions practices, provided you are savvy to them. ie. I would be sceptical of any significantly reduced offers you receive though. (I'm not sure if Exeter does these, or even which unis do) They are just done to poach strong students.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
86.71%
No (19)
13.29%

Watched Threads