English recommendations for Personal Statement?

Watch
jaygatsby82
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey all!

I'm in my final year of high school wanting to study English Literature with Creative Writing at uni (Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol) but am missing some authors to put in my PS.

Anybody got any good suggestions that will wow the crowd? My first draft has to be in next Friday so no Count of Monte Cristos please haha.

ESPECIALLY looking for 18th-century writers - Read one Austen novel but that's all and I'm starting to have a bit of a panic.
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the key point of a PS is not just to list things but to reflect on them, so quantity is hardly essential, passion and insight into what you've read is.

Having said that, if you need some rapid C18th literature, I'd go straight to poetry. You can't really go wrong with any Coleridge, Keats, Byron, Burns. My personal rec would be William Blake Songs of Innocence and Experience. Just gorgeous to read, enormously influential, bite-sized, social commentary, great imagery.
Last edited by 2500_2; 4 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are lots of possible options for Victorian literature, but very few you could productively read and analyse in a week I would think...

You might be best off focusing on poetry, especially shorter poems? You could then at least read a couple of complete poems then analyse them a little. I'm not that familiar with Victorian poetry but I'm sure there are various options, George Eliot might be one to consider? Emily Dickinson might be also an option for contemporaneous American poetry. That said I've never actually read any of their poetry so it might be quite long and/or dense! Otherwise some of the Brontë’s books are relatively short, although content wise I think slow going in spite of that.

However I think one novel which you have thought about in depth and situated well within its social context would be just as if not more valuable than a whole string of other works you've read but not thought about. So you may find it just as productive to focus on the texts you have actually read, but consider different perspective and analytical frameworks from which to approach them.
jaygatsby82
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There are lots of possible options for Victorian literature, but very few you could productively read and analyse in a week I would think...

You might be best off focusing on poetry, especially shorter poems? You could then at least read a couple of complete poems then analyse them a little. I'm not that familiar with Victorian poetry but I'm sure there are various options, George Eliot might be one to consider? Emily Dickinson might be also an option for contemporaneous American poetry. That said I've never actually read any of their poetry so it might be quite long and/or dense! Otherwise some of the Brontë’s books are relatively short, although content wise I think slow going in spite of that.

However I think one novel which you have thought about in depth and situated well within its social context would be just as if not more valuable than a whole string of other works you've read but not thought about. So you may find it just as productive to focus on the texts you have actually read, but consider different perspective and analytical frameworks from which to approach them.
Thank you! I’m sorted on the 19th century mostly I think - Conrad, Dickens and Wilde 👍🏻
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jaygatsby82)
Thank you! I’m sorted on the 19th century mostly I think - Conrad, Dickens and Wilde 👍🏻
Oh right I converted the century date the wrong direction haha

For some reason I thought Austen was a lot later than she was...

No idea about that century, everything we studied I think landed before or after that
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jaygatsby82)
Hey all!

I'm in my final year of high school wanting to study English Literature with Creative Writing at uni (Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol) but am missing some authors to put in my PS.

Anybody got any good suggestions that will wow the crowd? My first draft has to be in next Friday so no Count of Monte Cristos please haha.

ESPECIALLY looking for 18th-century writers - Read one Austen novel but that's all and I'm starting to have a bit of a panic.
Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal?
It's very (very) short, quite bizarre, but read from a C21st perspective really chilling. Very influential even now on both horror story writers and politicians.
Last edited by 2500_2; 4 weeks ago
jaygatsby82
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
I think the key point of a PS is not just to list things but to reflect on them, so quantity is hardly essential, passion and insight into what you've read is.

Having said that, if you need some rapid C18th literature, I'd go straight to poetry. You can't really go wrong with any Coleridge, Keats, Byron, Burns. My personal rec would be William Blake Songs of Innocence and Experience. Just gorgeous to read, enormously influential, bite-sized, social commentary, great imagery.
Thank you so much!! I really need poetry so this is a great help
jaygatsby82
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal?
It's very (very) short, quite bizarre, but read from a C21st perspective really chilling. Very influential even now on both horror story writers and politicians.
Omg that sounds brilliant will deffo read ty
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads