twkh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey so im currently in year11 and soon i have to apply for sixth form. i wanna do dentistry after sixth form hopefully and im picking chem bio for a levels. i have noooooo clue what to take as a third a level as i dont wanna do maths anymore, i was thinking of construction but then its a btec course and idk if that would lower my chance into being accepted into dentistry
PLEASE HELP ME T-T
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to do dentistry, 3 A Levels is the most straight forward path. Maths is not a requirement, so you are free to pick any other subject you like and think you can get at least an A in.
twkh
Rep:
?
its just im worried if like id have a lower chance due to

(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
If you want to do dentistry, 3 A Levels is the most straight forward path. Maths is not a requirement, so you are free to pick any other subject you like and think you can get at least an A in.
me taking a btec course idek mann
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by twkh)
its just im worried if like id have a lower chance due to

me taking a btec course idek mann
All dental school websites specify 3 A Levels. Some don’t accept BTECs and those that do accept the BTEC only specify the triple award in something health or science related - they don’t mention anything about a combination of A Levels and BTECs, so yes, you’re probably restricting yourself very much if you do.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 4 weeks ago
andrealocquiao
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i mean, i think its best if you contact the unis so you know what their policy is because some accept btecs when combined with bio and chem. Also, most dental schools don't accept these for dentistry... "We do not accept Critical Thinking, General Studies, Citizenship Studies, or other similar equivalent subjects." (that's from Cardiff university).

good idea on not wanting to do maths because I'm stuck with it now, and year 13 content is NOT fun.

Also, if you're planning to do epq just beware that most dental unis don't use it as a chance to lower grades (I only know one that does, I think its Sheffield?) but its good to talk about at interviews. I dropped it cud of the workload and that I don't like writing essays, but if you can handle it, its great to develop research skills and stuff. But you have a while to choose to do epq. Maybe try it out and decide later if you like it or not.

Anyway, good luck (:
Last edited by andrealocquiao; 4 weeks ago
twkh
Rep:
?
(Original post by andrealocquiao)
i mean, i think its best if you contact the unis so you know what their policy is because some accept btecs when combined with bio and chem. Also, most dental schools don't accept these for dentistry... "We do not accept Critical Thinking, General Studies, Citizenship Studies, or other similar equivalent subjects." (that's from Cardiff university).

good idea on not wanting to do maths because I'm stuck with it now, and year 13 content is NOT fun.

Also, if you're planning to do epq just beware that most dental unis don't use it as a chance to lower grades (I only know one that does, I think its Sheffield?) but its good to talk about at interviews. I dropped it cud of the workload and that I don't like writing essays, but if you can handle it, its great to develop research skills and stuff. But you have a while to choose to do epq. Maybe try it out and decide later if you like it or not.

Anyway, good luck (:
see i honestly dont have a clue on what else i could take like even criminology which is what some teacher recommended me is a btec course, idk about psychology but ik for sure i aint taking it coz i didnt even take it for gcses but thank u so much for ur advice <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.9%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.61%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.17%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.72%

Watched Threads