The Student Room Group

Master Degree with Pass

I received results for 2 dissertations. One fails, and they require me a resubmission and confirm that I cannot be awarded distinction or merit even when my GPA is >70% and never failed any classes before.

I have been in a state of panic, stress and anxiety for more than 2 days. I never thought I could fail.

How bad does having an MSc "Pass" look in general?

I don't know if a Master Degree with a Pass affects my job application or not. I obtained first-class honour for a Bachelor degree. My goal is to work in accountancy firms, and I am applying for Graduate Scheme; and I am afraid that my Master Degree with Pass Classification cannot pass a CV screening.

I fear that my poor MSc result will negatively affect a prospective employer's impression of me. Will having a BSc with First Class Honours followed by a MSc with Pass not look strange?

Please give me some thoughts!!!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Don't think it's likely to make much difference compared to relevant work experience. You probably could've just applied to the grad schemes directly after your undergrad degree if you had appropriate work experience I would've though? So in that sense you're in essentially the same position except you spent a year doing a masters which was not entirely productive. Might be seen as a bit of a blip but as long as you have relevant experience combined with your strong undergrad result, probably not a critical factor.
Original post by artful_lounger
Don't think it's likely to make much difference compared to relevant work experience. You probably could've just applied to the grad schemes directly after your undergrad degree if you had appropriate work experience I would've though? So in that sense you're in essentially the same position except you spent a year doing a masters which was not entirely productive. Might be seen as a bit of a blip but as long as you have relevant experience combined with your strong undergrad result, probably not a critical factor.

I just did 2 short-term internships before attending a Master course. So obviously, my relevant working experience is limited. I am striving for academic excellence to highlight my application. :frown:
Original post by freshgraduate
I received results for 2 dissertations. One fails, and they require me a resubmission and confirm that I cannot be awarded distinction or merit even when my GPA is >70% and never failed any classes before.

I have been in a state of panic, stress and anxiety for more than 2 days. I never thought I could fail.

How bad does having an MSc "Pass" look in general?

I don't know if a Master Degree with a Pass affects my job application or not. I obtained first-class honour for a Bachelor degree. My goal is to work in accountancy firms, and I am applying for Graduate Scheme; and I am afraid that my Master Degree with Pass Classification cannot pass a CV screening.

I fear that my poor MSc result will negatively affect a prospective employer's impression of me. Will having a BSc with First Class Honours followed by a MSc with Pass not look strange?

Please give me some thoughts!!!!

Most times you wouldn’t even put a grade on a Masters degree in a CV, unless you were remaining in academia. It’s not a consideration for most employers.
Reply 4
From my experience....

Unless explicitly required, employers dont hugely care that you have a masters degree. If the role you are going for requires a 2.1 or above, then thats all you need. They need to know your undergrad grade to confirm you meet the minimum requirements, but there is no requirement for them to know your masters grade. Dont expect having a masters degree to make your life significantly easier when applying to grad jobs.

For grad scheme applications I have found that CVs are used for a (relatively quick) first impression. If you meet the requirements and your CV is reasonable, HR might put you through to the online assessments etc. Next time it becomes relevant is when you go for an AC and your interviewer gives it a quick read 15 minutes before they meet you for some talking points. Given the nature of grad schemes (lots of very similar people applying ie. degree, limited experience), there are a lot of standardised ways of measuring your performance from online tests to AC that are viewed as more important that your CV.

Your CV will become more relevant when it comes to being an experienced hire. Thats where you will then showcase the experience you have. As a lot of experienced hires are done through interview only, the CV is more important and gives more useful information. Even then, your masters grade wont be overly important.
don't mention it

Quick Reply

Latest