silviam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How hard is it really to get onto a PhD course for clinical/child psychology? I'm a first year undergraduate psychology student and I'm worried I made the wrong choice, because even though I love psychology everybody is saying it is nearly impossible to get a job. I'd like to be a Child Psychotherapist. Is that even doable considering all the competition there seems to be out there? What exactly are the requirements? I would absolutely love to be a child psychotherapist but realistically I would like to not have to worry too much about finances and possibly have a salary of around £40,000. Is that so hard to achieve? I'm just feeling so discouraged.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is confusing and you need to do a lot more research about the various options.

'Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist' is its own profession, but confusingly several professions also offer therapy to children, one of which is clinical psychology. Here is a career map that has many but not all of the various psychological and therapeutic roles: https://www.ppn.nhs.uk/resources/careers-map. Secondly, you don't need a PhD (a research degree) to practice as a clinical psychologist but a DClinPsy.

Reallistically, you will need to talk to a lot of people, get some tailored guidance and do a lot more research to get a sense of what routes are available and how you stack up against the competition for each one. That is what most aspirants need to do, and really it is the first step you need to do before making any further decisions. Also if you are discouraged this early on in the game it's not a great sign; the route is fairly brutal and it gets worse, and most successful applicants are resilient as well as academically able.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (214)
56.76%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.26%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (42)
11.14%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.75%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed