Abzdot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I just need a quick hand with the signs you use with suvat for objects under free fall like a particle being launched into the air.
I take down as positive and up as negative. This means that if the particle is launched up off a platform of X metres this would be negative with an initial velocity of U I would take it as negative with g as positive. However, displacement is actually not negative but is positive. Why is this?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abzdot)
Hi, I just need a quick hand with the signs you use with suvat for objects under free fall like a particle being launched into the air.
I take down as positive and up as negative. This means that if the particle is launched up off a platform of X metres this would be negative with an initial velocity of U I would take it as negative with g as positive. However, displacement is actually not negative but is positive. Why is this?
The point of projection is s=0. If the platform is at a height of X metres, then when the particle lands it will be X metres below the platform. If you're taking down as positive, then this is a positive displacement.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abzdot)
Under that convention, a positive displacement means that the object has ended up lower down than it started. Does this fit with the question you are doing?

There is no rule that says which way you have to make positive, you can decide from question to question. It's usually easier to make positive the direction of the initial motion, so I would do it the other way around in this case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (236)
57.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.86%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.17%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.74%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed