Housing benefits!!??

Watch
DOLLYD123!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, does anyone know if you can still get housing benefit as a full time student? I'm aware that I cannot get living costs or child support costs but some articles such as shelter and turn 2us say you can get the housing element if you have dependents. I spent the last year doing an access course once I finished mat leave and I have already had to forfeit my nursing offer as I have no childcare for shifts, I have been accepted on to educational studies with psychology and am terrified to go to the course as my maintenance loan doesn't give me enough to live on, 1100 a month, my rent is 650,I have 3 sons, 2 are young adults and cost alot to feed, my bills are 500 to 700 pounds although I am looking for reductions such as abandoned TV licence and using apps only, rent is astronomical, houses in Nottingham are 100 quid more now than I pay for absolute dumps or smaller than what I have.... Basically I can't go to university if I don't get help with rent which is soul destroying, I have waited 22 years and lost my dad to covid in January, it was his dream for me to go and he died before he knew I got in ☹️... So I wondered if anyone knows if rent help is possible or gets it and how it works etc, I have always worked in mental health and youth homes but wanted to get a degree before my youngest child starts school in order to provide for us comfortably, ty in advance
Last edited by DOLLYD123!; 4 weeks ago
lojawa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DOLLYD123!)
Hi, does anyone know if you can still get housing benefit as a full time student? I'm aware that I cannot get living costs or child support costs but some articles such as shelter and turn 2us say you can get the housing element if you have dependents. I spent the last year doing an access course once I finished mat leave and I have already had to forfeit my nursing offer as I have no childcare for shifts, I have been accepted on to educational studies with psychology and am terrified to go to the course as my maintenance loan doesn't give me enough to live on, 1100 a month, my rent is 650,I have 3 sons, 2 are young adults and cost alot to feed, my bills are 500 to 700 pounds although I am looking for reductions such as abandoned TV licence and using apps only, rent is astronomical, houses in Nottingham are 100 quid more now than I pay for absolute dumps or smaller than what I have.... Basically I can't go to university if I don't get help with rent which is soul destroying, I have waited 22 years and lost my dad to covid in January, it was his dream for me to go and he died before he knew I got in ☹️... So I wondered if anyone knows if rent help is possible or gets it and how it works etc, I have always worked in mental health and youth homes but wanted to get a degree before my youngest child starts school in order to provide for us comfortably, ty in advance
Contact the Citizens Advice, they’ll do a full benefits check & rough calculation for you based on all of your circumstances, and signpost you to additional support in your area.
Last edited by lojawa; 4 weeks ago
DOLLYD123!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lojawa)
Contact the Citizens Advice, they’ll do a full benefits check & rough calculation for you based on all of your circumstances, and signpost you to additional support in your area.
Thank you, good idea, I may book an appointment as its difficult to get through on the phone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads