Is it a good idea to study law if I dont intend to practice it?

Watch
robin1123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How is the job prospect other being a lawyer?
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by robin1123)
How is the job prospect other being a lawyer?
Hi robin1123

Like any other degree, you will learn many skills- not simply a subject. Consequently, there will be lots of careers that you can enter into with a law degree. There are a few examples listed here: https://www.law.ac.uk/employability/career-finder/.

I, personally, know people that have completed a law degree then gone onto publishing, education, marketing, charity work and sales. It's very varied.

Whilst I love telling everyone how much I love law and I am always encouraging people, who have an interest, to go into it, I also advise people to be prepared for it to be challenging and competitive. There are lots of career options from law but if you're not interested in it, have you considered a different degree? More importantly, do you know what you would like to do as a career- and do you know what route to take? Maybe that is what you should think about. Have a look at the careers finder on the ULaw page.

If you also want a broader directory, have a look at https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Whatever you do/are doing- I hope you find something you enjoy!

Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law
robin1123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
is it really boring? I was actually watching a video of a bar exam paper and found the questions interesting

For ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_-cMXwGykc
Joleee
Badges: 19
?
Report 1 month ago
is it really boring? I was actually watching a video of a bar exam paper and found the questions interesting

you can't gauge if you will find law interesting or boring based on an exam question cuz it doesn't explain the 3 year process of actually studying academic law, which you might thoroughly enjoy or which might bore you to tears (personally don't find it boring at all and would study it forever if i could, but it isn't for everyone).

sounds like you've never read academic law before(?). if i were you i would go to google scholar and open up a few legal textbooks, namely something on land law, contract law, equity, public law, and jurisprudence; read a few pages and see if it interests you. then go to the Supreme Court website and read a few judgments (not just the case summary - the actual judgment) cuz you will be reading plenty of those during an LLB.

do you loveee reading? cuz that's mainly what you'll be doing for three years during an LLB assuming you apply yourself at a semi decent uni. like, law requires far more reading than other humanities degree and you must put in a lot more effort than other degrees in general just to get a 2:1, nevermind a first (fyi law is known for giving out fewer firsts than any other subject). so is it 'a good idea' to study law? only you can decide that based on why you want to study it and what you're hoping to get out of it and hour uni experience. fyi yes law grads work in many fields other than law, but an LLB alone does not make you employable; you need to go out and get that work experience during uni regardless of your degree.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi robin1123

I personally don't find it boring it at all. I've really love it. For example, yesterday I was in a workshop learning about how witness memories affect recount in court and how to use questioning to elicit specific recall. It was fascinating. This is part of the Bar Practice Course with ULaw.

During my masters, there were so many interesting cases to read. I was actually surprised that I enjoyed cases in areas that I initially thought were boring. For example, I didn't think I'd find Land Law very interesting but in the end I achieved a distinction in it. One case that made me reconsider my view was about a statue of all things! In the case of Tower Hamlets LBC v Bromley LBC [2015] EWHC 1954 (Ch), the issues were whether the statue was a chattel or fixture and who the legal owners were- it lead to some interesting commentary about social good.

Of course, there are cases and text which are dry reading too (and you get that with many subjects). I got through these by using the ULaw text to speech facilities on their systems (if you use Word and PDFs, there are similar options available) and by listening to them whilst enjoying a strong coffee, rather than reading them. (You don't have to learn the same way as everyone else - just do what is best for you; I have a distinction in both my LLB and masters to prove that.)

Building on the advice above about experiencing law, you can go along to your local court and sit in the public galleries and listen to the cases or you can watch the actual recordings of the Supreme Court cases online. You can also get work experience at solicitors' firms, chambers, the Crown Prosecution Service, the Government Legal Department or charities that provide legal services. Don't forget that not all law is court room based- there is so much that goes on elsewhere too- drafting of legislation, writing of policies and guidance, client conferences, mediation, legal education, for example.

The fact that you are considering whether you might be interested in law, shows that something has caught your attention about it (and stories about salaries is as good a reason as any but be aware that not all of the legal sector is well paid) and it is worth exploring a bit more. You're asking the right questions so that's a good start.

As I said before, whatever you chose to do, I hope you find something that you enjoy!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (296)
57.48%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
13.98%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (57)
11.07%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.54%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.88%

Watched Threads