abihudson14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, So I'm in Year 13 and don't know what to do at Uni. I know that i'd like to work in the Private sector ideally in London when I graduate and I would like a career with a good salary ideally. I was going to study law but I'm not sure and I'm panicking about the entry requirements. I'm aiming for AAB in my exams and the Unis available for Law aren't that high in the leagues and I was aiming for a Russell Group. I also Like the idea of studying Politics/ Business management. Would it be better to do one of those degrees at a Russell group or Law at a less competitive uni. Is there another degree I have overlooked that could achieve what I want? Thanks for all the help! I'm really worried about job prospects when I graduate.
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abihudson14)
Hi, So I'm in Year 13 and don't know what to do at Uni. I know that i'd like to work in the Private sector ideally in London when I graduate and I would like a career with a good salary ideally. I was going to study law but I'm not sure and I'm panicking about the entry requirements. I'm aiming for AAB in my exams and the Unis available for Law aren't that high in the leagues and I was aiming for a Russell Group. I also Like the idea of studying Politics/ Business management. Would it be better to do one of those degrees at a Russell group or Law at a less competitive uni. Is there another degree I have overlooked that could achieve what I want? Thanks for all the help! I'm really worried about job prospects when I graduate.
Completely normal to be thinking about job prospects.

Other degrees besides Law, Business or Politics
It depends what you want to become so to avoid doing conversion courses after doing 3 years undergrad I'd be clear with that. What about Human Resources does that interest you?

Personal Experience
As someone who did a Business Related degree in a non-russell Uni and found it hard to find a graduate job I'd avoid Business at all costs. However, there may be a dual degree where you can do Business and Law combined which might be off interest so atleast you have the Law Degree in there too. So check that out when applying..

Law Degree or Law apprenticeship
I am guessing you know you can become a solicitor via a degree route or a non-degree routes such as a Solicitor Apprenticeship and I am sure with you being based in London there will be plenty of top/multinational law firms who would love your college grades too if you didn't want to go to University and you can start earning too straight after college which is a bonus. Apply for both then see what happens..

Law
There is a great route map into law at this site: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/law-careers

https://nationalcareers.service.gov..../law-and-legal

If you want to be a solicitor, then do a law degree then SQE course and find a training contract. But if you want to be a barrister, it will be the GDL route. You don't have to have a law degree to work in law as you can do a conversion course after undergrad degree.

Student forum related law conversation
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6161532
Last edited by Ash1234; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.48%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (62)
13.45%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.41%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.89%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed