Am I too old to go back to college?

Watch
Ste29
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all sorry in advance if this is the wrong section.

So here’s my predicament I’m 28 years old and want to go back to college. I started college in 2009 and left college in like 2012, moved to a new campus and and the new campus was really taking a toll on my mental health. Anyway I’ve aged a lot since then and I’ve realised what qualifications I’ve got travel and tourism and animal care (my highest being a level 3 certificate in animal care) there’s no calling for where I live work wise. So I’ve decided to look about going back to do a 19+ part time level one carpentry and joinery course. Even if I don’t get a job out of it its still a valuable life skill.

Anyway I feel sort of embarrassed because of my age, I’ll probably be 29 if I do decide to join, is it normal for someone of my age to want to go back as I’ve always see college as a young persons thing. Should I really go back or should I leave it

Cheers in advice
MattGordonWFC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's never too late to go back to or continue your education. Of course I'm biased. Go for it!
LJ234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From a young person- go for it, you'll regret it later in life. Good luck and have fun
MattGordonWFC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LJ234)
From a young person- go for it, you'll regret it later in life. Good luck and have fun
Totally agree with @LJ234
Style Climate.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's going to be full of 16 year olds, max 18 or 19, unless it is a adult course for your age it is a bit embarrassing tbh but it's upto you and you don't have to tell anyone your age
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go for it, always good to get more education youll decidedly be in a minority for your age but plenty do it.
On the other hand you could always go to the dedicated adult courses which tend to be held at night
username5812124
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My cousin works for a college she has like 70 year old people signing up for online college .You got this though you can do it
Blueowl2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are never too old to learn, Go for it and I know you will do great!
GatoMessi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ste29)

So here’s my predicament I’m 28 years old and want to go back to college. I started college in 2009 and left college in like 2012, moved to a new campus and and the new campus was really taking a toll on my mental health. Anyway I’ve aged a lot since then and I’ve realised what qualifications I’ve got travel and tourism and animal care (my highest being a level 3 certificate in animal care) there’s no calling for where I live work wise. So I’ve decided to look about going back to do a 19+ part time level one carpentry and joinery course. Even if I don’t get a job out of it its still a valuable life skill.

Anyway I feel sort of embarrassed because of my age, I’ll probably be 29 if I do decide to join, is it normal for someone of my age to want to go back as I’ve always see college as a young persons thing. Should I really go back or should I leave it

Cheers in advice
It is NEVER too old to learn. I went back to college at my late 40s
cvgk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ste29)

Cheers in advice
it is never too late also you live in uk open your eyes people studying at their 40's , 50's you can do it...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (237)
57.38%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.83%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.14%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.72%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.36%

Watched Threads