Scousebird
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience teaching on an Access to HE course.
I am going into my second year of a PGCE and I will be teaching Access to Social Sciences and I’m a little unsure about how marking and setting assessments works (last year I was teaching on an HND course).
If anyone has taught on an Access course I would be eternally grateful for any help and advice you could give me, particularly surrounding assessments etc…
Thanks very much!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is your placement mentor not able to help you with this? I am sure they will talk you through any assignments carefully?
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scousebird)
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience teaching on an Access to HE course.
I am going into my second year of a PGCE and I will be teaching Access to Social Sciences and I’m a little unsure about how marking and setting assessments works (last year I was teaching on an HND course).
If anyone has taught on an Access course I would be eternally grateful for any help and advice you could give me, particularly surrounding assessments etc…
Thanks very much!
Scousebird
Hello

I have taught on an Access to HE Social Sciences program, and Nursing for nearly 10 years so I can help.

Access to HE classes tend to be very laid back as students are motivated to a particular goal, although you can get one or two with spikey profiles and require some additional support.

In terms of social sciences, the majority of assignments will be marked against four criteria - understanding of the subject, application of knowledge (which is assessing breadth and depth of further reading), communication and presentation (which can include referencing, spelling, use of images depending on the tasks) and quality which is an overall summative grade of the standard of the work. Check them for each assignment brief, some will have 'use of information' instead

The final grade is an average of these four, so it could be distinction, merit, distinction, distinction = distinction

If it is a two way tie, it is the quality grade which is the decider.

I encourage you to give plenty of feedback around academic practice particularly referencing and further reading.

Remember that different centre's will have different unit's and different ways of assessing. The best providers have a mix of essays, in class tests, presentations, reports etc although some providers just do in class tests

Usually work is marked and handed back within 2 working weeks. Speak to your department head about internal validation practices as they may vary

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.88%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.1%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (60)
11.13%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.35%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.71%

Watched Threads