Questions regarding the UCAS application as an American

Watch
picodegallo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Planning on applying to Oxford for the 2022 school cycle, (mainly planning to study in the US but thought that I might as well give it a try) Currently a bit stuck on a few of the UCAS application questions. Any help is appreciated

1. How many (if at all) grades should I input? Grades in this context meaning the letter grades A,B,C etc. from regular high school classes. There is a qualification labelled "USA - High School Graduation Diploma". Do I include every grade received in high school (last 4 years before university), or only ones relevant to the major I am applying for? Every single grade would total to 25+ which is why I want to clarify.

2. Regarding extracurricular activities and the personal statement - google tells me that there is no place to put ECs on the UCAS application, and that I should instead include it in my personal statement. Is this correct? If so, then I would like some advice, as for US schools it is the opposite case, where you do not want to list specific achievements and instead be personal / tell colleges about yourself more. Should I rewrite a personal statement for this application or is there some other way. Apologies if I am being unclear. For example, my personal statement for the common application (essentially US version of UCAS) has no mention of my best out of school accomplishments, as those are included elsewhere in US college applications

3. If I plan on taking out student loans, is there an option in the UK for that? If so, which option under "main source of funding" should I pick?

4. Small question, but under "nationality details" what does the "date of first entry to the UK" mean? Is this when I plan to fly there if I am accepted, or does this mean prior visits to the UK? I don't know when I would go to the UK assuming the former, and the question is very specific, to the exact day.

5. Under reference, who should I ask for a reference? American universities generally require 3: 1 from a guidance counselor, 1 from a math/science teacher, and 1 from an English/liberal arts teacher. Since I am applying for a STEM major, would I supply the information for my math reference or guidance counselor?

Thank you in advance, and apologies if this is not the right place to post my questions
Samii.A
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't think im in the best place to answer all questions but ill try anyways

1. Here in the UK, most people do 3 or 4 subjects which is one grade each (e.g. A*A*A). There should be some equivalent entry requirements for America on the course's page. If you tell me the course you're trying to do and your state I could look it up for you.

2. So yeah for your UCAS, you're supposed to tell them why you're applying to the course and what makes you a good candidate so relating the courses you're currently doing and what skills you got from it as well as your extracurricular achievements and how it would make you stand out. There are some tips on the UCAS website https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement and that should help.

3. In the UK, international students can't take out a UK student loan as you have to be resident. I understand America allow you to use your federal student loans here so if you're going to use that then that's okay. I'm not totally sure what to select so you'd have to consult with someone else. Sorry.

4. It's the date you expect to arrive in the UK to start your course. So it would be a future date, near the start of your course.

5. Here in the UK, it is normally our tutors that do our references for us, so I think it would be your guidance counselor? Ask them, they've probably dealt with these kind of situations before.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Samii.A; 4 weeks ago
picodegallo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Samii.A)
Don't think im in the best place to answer all questions but ill try anyways

1. Here in the UK, most people do 3 or 4 subjects which is one grade each (e.g. A*A*A). There should be some equivalent entry requirements for America on the course's page. If you tell me the course you're trying to do and your state I could look it up for you.

2. So yeah for your UCAS, you're supposed to tell them why you're applying to the course and what makes you a good candidate so relating the courses you're currently doing and what skills you got from it as well as your extracurricular achievements and how it would make you stand out. There are some tips on the UCAS website https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement and that should help.

3. In the UK, international students can't take out a UK student loan as you have to be resident. I understand America allow you to use your federal student loans here so if you're going to use that then that's okay. I'm not totally sure what to select so you'd have to consult with someone else. Sorry.

4. It's the date you expect to arrive in the UK to start your course. So it would be a future date, near the start of your course.

5. Here in the UK, it is normally our tutors that do our references for us, so I think it would be your guidance counselor? Ask them, they've probably dealt with these kind of situations before.

Hope this helps.
Okay, thank you very much, this helps. I'm not sure what to do about the financial situation then but I'll figure it out. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (17)
56.67%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
10%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (4)
13.33%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
3.33%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
6.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads