Can somebody briefly mark my Lady Macbeth essay?

Watch this thread
Leah Brayshaw
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Explain how far Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a powerful woman throughout the play.

In Shakespeare’s supernatural gothic tragedy Macbeth, he explores how women in the Patriarchal society are covetous for power to gain the masculinity they eager for as this eventually has its downfalls afterwards. Shakespeare indicates this allegorical message through the hubristic Lady Macbeth who is frequently interpreted as a powerful woman as she can encourage her husband, Macbeth, urging him to “screw his courage to the sticking place” when his resolve threatens to fail him in his planned murder of King Duncan. However, this eventually indicates Lady Macbeth’s duality of a character later in the tragedy as she is shown to lose all of her power as the guilt overwhelms her rapidly.

Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a character who is covetous for power as she calls for "spirits that tend on mortal thoughts" to "fill me from the crown to the toe top-full of direst cruelty" which lends her a supernatural power beyond the mortal masculine characters of the play. It can even be argued that she is the fourth witch of the play, with the "damned spot" upon her hand resembling the third nipple which witches traditionally used to feed their familiars blood from. The use of graphic imagery portrays Lady Macbeth as a Machiavellian antagonist who is hubristic that does not feel any remorse for her husband and anyone else. Shakespeare alludes Lady Macbeth’s avarice for power through the manipulation imagery of her demanding her husband, Macbeth, to “look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under’t”. Shakespeare concludes imperative verbs as she commands Macbeth to “look” and “be” to indicate that she oversees the “business” of planning king Duncan’s death. Lady Macbeth is implied to subvert the Patriarchal society as men are seen to be “valiant” warriors on the battlefield, whilst women are nothing more than a maid. The use of Shakespeare contrasting women’s masculinity to a man clarifies that women are just as strong and “brave” as men were back in The Dark Ages. This would have made the Jacobean audience agitated because they know what the consequences are for committing regicide, but also breaking the great chain of being leads to death. The use of comparison also allows the audience to see how women should have the same privileges as a man is required to instead of having to work for it, like women must. The use of a simile “look like the innocent flower” has innocent connotations which help to portray Macbeth’s dominant character of innocence. The use of the biblical metaphor “Be the serpent under’t” has religious connotations which refers to the biblical story of ‘Adam and Eve’ as this helps the audience to envision Lady Macbeth becoming the serpent who persuades and forces Macbeth, who is in this case Eve, to eat the apple, which is represented as Lady Macbeth’s “bloody instructions”. This highlights that Lady Macbeth is the most suspected judgement of the corruption of Macbeth’s human condition of his innocence being manipulated, as she also emasculates him to persuade him to “proceed in this business”. This clarifies Lady Macbeth’s Machiavellian and devious antagonist in the play as she’ll do anything to get what she wants, power. Shakespeare evokes Lady Macbeth’s ruthless character in act 1 scene 5 where she reads Macbeth’s letter, implying the three stated prophecies the three sisters has predicted to him. This encourages Lady Macbeth to do everything in her power to make sure these prophecies come true so that she’ll become queen with Macbeth. This indication of Lady Macbeth emasculating her husband by interpretating that he is “too full of o’th’ milk of human kindness” and that he must change his integrity to be able to carry these “bloody instructions” out correctly, links to the idea of Lady Macbeth seeing this as an opportunity to emasculate his masculinity into changing it into more of a psychotic and villainous protagonist. Lady Macbeth also knows her husband’s ambition, but she is too agitated that Macbeth does not have the “illness” to do this as she thinks he is too legitimate to subvert the Patriarchal laws. This personifies Shakespeare’s allegorical message of how women in the Patriarchal society are covetous for power to gain the masculinity they eager for by almost learning of men. This later alternates as Lady Macbeth becomes powerless and Macbeth is shown to feed off her power which makes him addicted and trapped in his devious self, that he has “Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er.” The river metaphor indicates for Macbeth, that it would be equally difficult to try to reform his ways as to continue in tyranny. He has reached to the worst crime in Jacobean history, regicide, which encourages him to keep on going as he is already expected for execution. Shakespeare finally characterizes the equivocated character of Lady Macbeth of being covetous for power as she demands Macbeth to “leave all the rest to me”. The use of the imperative verb “Leave” highlights Lady Macbeth’s dominance towards the regicide as she implies more sustained masculinity than her “dearest partner”. This indicates that she is taking in charge of the situation.

However, it is possible to interpret that Lady Macbeth is a vulnerable and weak character in his archetypical Scottish play ‘Macbeth’, as she is unable to act except through her husband, with this marital passivity reflecting the patriarchal norms not only of the play's medieval setting, but Shakespeare's own socio-temporal landscape. Lady Macbeth is shown to go mentally insane as she realizes the murderous ad tyrannical actions, she has created which leads to the pivotal moment of Lady Macbeth taking Macbeth’s agitated and timid character, whilst Macbeth tends to grow beyond Lady Macbeth’s hubristic and manipulated character, which indicates Shakespeare’s interpretation of how the human condition can differ in many ways. The hypermasculine dominance can be further characterized in the ambiguous gender of Lady Macbeth herself as she demands spirits to “unsex her” calls into question the indicated weakness of a typical feminine characteristics such as “remorse”, with the graphic request to “stop up the access and passage to remorse. This clearly alludes the expected motherly role that undermines Lady Macbeth’s power within a warrior culture. Shakespeare characterizes Lady Macbeth’s vulnerable character through the disturbing imagery when she is in the state of unconsciousness walks and tries to wash off her blood-stained hands, “out damned spot, out I say!” This psychotic allusion of Lady Macbeth’s emphasizes her discloses of guilt as it relates to the theme of guilt. The motif of “blood” is repeatedly constructed to the theme of guilt and violence as it runs throughout the tragedy to indicate the graphical imagery of ‘Macbeth’ to show the consequential indications a violence act can trigger to as “blood will have blood”. The use of imperative verb of “say” creates desperation between Lady Macbeth’s character and the theme of guilt as this implies that she is eager to be clean from this guilt, which also indicates she is feeling some sort of remorse. Shakespeare conveys the character of Lady Macbeth as a remorseful character using debated guilt “what’s done cannot be undone”. This clarifies Lady Macbeth’s guilt as she starts to recognize the murderous and avaricious crimes that she has been involved with, which have consequential consequences of execution to them. Lady Macbeth indicates that she couldn’t have committed this regicide by herself even if it was not up to her as king, she explains that King Duncan had “resembled my father as he slept, I had done’t”. This persuades the audience to feel sympathetic towards Lady Macbeth as they find out that her dad has recently passed away which portrays the character of Lady Macbeth to be vulnerable and weary. The excuse of backing out of killing Duncan herself, indicates her being timid and betrayal as she cannot bare to “proceed with this business”.

Principally, Lady Macbeth is personified as a Machiavellian woman who is haughtily covetous for power throughout the caricatural tragedy ‘Macbeth’. Lady Macbeth is indicated throughout the tragedy of a manipulative and scheming antagonist which provokes her domination towards active power for herself. She is personified as an opportunistic character in the play as she will observe and take any opportunity that lies in her way, whatever the consequences might be for her future. This helps to foreshadow her downfall as she gets too overwhelmed of the trauma that she ends up taking her own life to end it all.

This is my first written GSCE essay about Lady Macbeth so I would appreciate any advice to improve it and I would also appreciate if you could give me a predicted grade on what this essay would get.
tasneem.016
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Leah Brayshaw)
Explain how far Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a powerful woman throughout the play.

In Shakespeare’s supernatural gothic tragedy Macbeth, he explores how women in the Patriarchal society are covetous for power to gain the masculinity they eager for as this eventually has its downfalls afterwards. Shakespeare indicates this allegorical message through the hubristic Lady Macbeth who is frequently interpreted as a powerful woman as she can encourage her husband, Macbeth, urging him to “screw his courage to the sticking place” when his resolve threatens to fail him in his planned murder of King Duncan. However, this eventually indicates Lady Macbeth’s duality of a character later in the tragedy as she is shown to lose all of her power as the guilt overwhelms her rapidly.

Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a character who is covetous for power as she calls for "spirits that tend on mortal thoughts" to "fill me from the crown to the toe top-full of direst cruelty" which lends her a supernatural power beyond the mortal masculine characters of the play. It can even be argued that she is the fourth witch of the play, with the "damned spot" upon her hand resembling the third nipple which witches traditionally used to feed their familiars blood from. The use of graphic imagery portrays Lady Macbeth as a Machiavellian antagonist who is hubristic that does not feel any remorse for her husband and anyone else. Shakespeare alludes Lady Macbeth’s avarice for power through the manipulation imagery of her demanding her husband, Macbeth, to “look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under’t”. Shakespeare concludes imperative verbs as she commands Macbeth to “look” and “be” to indicate that she oversees the “business” of planning king Duncan’s death. Lady Macbeth is implied to subvert the Patriarchal society as men are seen to be “valiant” warriors on the battlefield, whilst women are nothing more than a maid. The use of Shakespeare contrasting women’s masculinity to a man clarifies that women are just as strong and “brave” as men were back in The Dark Ages. This would have made the Jacobean audience agitated because they know what the consequences are for committing regicide, but also breaking the great chain of being leads to death. The use of comparison also allows the audience to see how women should have the same privileges as a man is required to instead of having to work for it, like women must. The use of a simile “look like the innocent flower” has innocent connotations which help to portray Macbeth’s dominant character of innocence. The use of the biblical metaphor “Be the serpent under’t” has religious connotations which refers to the biblical story of ‘Adam and Eve’ as this helps the audience to envision Lady Macbeth becoming the serpent who persuades and forces Macbeth, who is in this case Eve, to eat the apple, which is represented as Lady Macbeth’s “bloody instructions”. This highlights that Lady Macbeth is the most suspected judgement of the corruption of Macbeth’s human condition of his innocence being manipulated, as she also emasculates him to persuade him to “proceed in this business”. This clarifies Lady Macbeth’s Machiavellian and devious antagonist in the play as she’ll do anything to get what she wants, power. Shakespeare evokes Lady Macbeth’s ruthless character in act 1 scene 5 where she reads Macbeth’s letter, implying the three stated prophecies the three sisters has predicted to him. This encourages Lady Macbeth to do everything in her power to make sure these prophecies come true so that she’ll become queen with Macbeth. This indication of Lady Macbeth emasculating her husband by interpretating that he is “too full of o’th’ milk of human kindness” and that he must change his integrity to be able to carry these “bloody instructions” out correctly, links to the idea of Lady Macbeth seeing this as an opportunity to emasculate his masculinity into changing it into more of a psychotic and villainous protagonist. Lady Macbeth also knows her husband’s ambition, but she is too agitated that Macbeth does not have the “illness” to do this as she thinks he is too legitimate to subvert the Patriarchal laws. This personifies Shakespeare’s allegorical message of how women in the Patriarchal society are covetous for power to gain the masculinity they eager for by almost learning of men. This later alternates as Lady Macbeth becomes powerless and Macbeth is shown to feed off her power which makes him addicted and trapped in his devious self, that he has “Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er.” The river metaphor indicates for Macbeth, that it would be equally difficult to try to reform his ways as to continue in tyranny. He has reached to the worst crime in Jacobean history, regicide, which encourages him to keep on going as he is already expected for execution. Shakespeare finally characterizes the equivocated character of Lady Macbeth of being covetous for power as she demands Macbeth to “leave all the rest to me”. The use of the imperative verb “Leave” highlights Lady Macbeth’s dominance towards the regicide as she implies more sustained masculinity than her “dearest partner”. This indicates that she is taking in charge of the situation.

However, it is possible to interpret that Lady Macbeth is a vulnerable and weak character in his archetypical Scottish play ‘Macbeth’, as she is unable to act except through her husband, with this marital passivity reflecting the patriarchal norms not only of the play's medieval setting, but Shakespeare's own socio-temporal landscape. Lady Macbeth is shown to go mentally insane as she realizes the murderous ad tyrannical actions, she has created which leads to the pivotal moment of Lady Macbeth taking Macbeth’s agitated and timid character, whilst Macbeth tends to grow beyond Lady Macbeth’s hubristic and manipulated character, which indicates Shakespeare’s interpretation of how the human condition can differ in many ways. The hypermasculine dominance can be further characterized in the ambiguous gender of Lady Macbeth herself as she demands spirits to “unsex her” calls into question the indicated weakness of a typical feminine characteristics such as “remorse”, with the graphic request to “stop up the access and passage to remorse. This clearly alludes the expected motherly role that undermines Lady Macbeth’s power within a warrior culture. Shakespeare characterizes Lady Macbeth’s vulnerable character through the disturbing imagery when she is in the state of unconsciousness walks and tries to wash off her blood-stained hands, “out damned spot, out I say!” This psychotic allusion of Lady Macbeth’s emphasizes her discloses of guilt as it relates to the theme of guilt. The motif of “blood” is repeatedly constructed to the theme of guilt and violence as it runs throughout the tragedy to indicate the graphical imagery of ‘Macbeth’ to show the consequential indications a violence act can trigger to as “blood will have blood”. The use of imperative verb of “say” creates desperation between Lady Macbeth’s character and the theme of guilt as this implies that she is eager to be clean from this guilt, which also indicates she is feeling some sort of remorse. Shakespeare conveys the character of Lady Macbeth as a remorseful character using debated guilt “what’s done cannot be undone”. This clarifies Lady Macbeth’s guilt as she starts to recognize the murderous and avaricious crimes that she has been involved with, which have consequential consequences of execution to them. Lady Macbeth indicates that she couldn’t have committed this regicide by herself even if it was not up to her as king, she explains that King Duncan had “resembled my father as he slept, I had done’t”. This persuades the audience to feel sympathetic towards Lady Macbeth as they find out that her dad has recently passed away which portrays the character of Lady Macbeth to be vulnerable and weary. The excuse of backing out of killing Duncan herself, indicates her being timid and betrayal as she cannot bare to “proceed with this business”.

Principally, Lady Macbeth is personified as a Machiavellian woman who is haughtily covetous for power throughout the caricatural tragedy ‘Macbeth’. Lady Macbeth is indicated throughout the tragedy of a manipulative and scheming antagonist which provokes her domination towards active power for herself. She is personified as an opportunistic character in the play as she will observe and take any opportunity that lies in her way, whatever the consequences might be for her future. This helps to foreshadow her downfall as she gets too overwhelmed of the trauma that she ends up taking her own life to end it all.

This is my first written GSCE essay about Lady Macbeth so I would appreciate any advice to improve it and I would also appreciate if you could give me a predicted grade on what this essay would get.
i think intro should be shorter and be like 2 sentences long.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (24)
68.57%
No (7)
20%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads