NatLock
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey Guys,

I’m looking at moving from Plymouth to London next September for a psychology course. I’m going to be 24 by the time I enrol and am having a panic about if I’m going to be too old to fit in.
I am debating whether to go to halls or private student accommodation, I understand I’ll make more friends living in the halls… but worried they are going to be quite a bit younger than me and we may not have all that much in common?
But on the other hand, in private, is it less sociable?

I’m not certain on where yet, I don’t have many UCAS points so i’m hoping they will let it slide as I have a good bit of work experience. Looking at city university of London, Goldsmiths, university of Westminster and I’m not too sure on east or west as I don’t think there as good from what I’ve heard?

I know I’ve got a while, but I need to be organised before I panic more 😂
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NatLock)
Hey Guys,

I’m looking at moving from Plymouth to London next September for a psychology course. I’m going to be 24 by the time I enrol and am having a panic about if I’m going to be too old to fit in.
I am debating whether to go to halls or private student accommodation, I understand I’ll make more friends living in the halls… but worried they are going to be quite a bit younger than me and we may not have all that much in common?

I’m not certain on where yet, I don’t have many UCAS points so i’m hoping they will let it slide as I have a good bit of work experience. Looking at city university of London, Goldsmiths, university of Westminster and I’m not too sure on east or west as I don’t think there as good from what I’ve heard?

Hi! NatLock

There are lots of mature students at university, some arrive when they are 25 and over, so you're still young.
Many join societies to meet new people. This also means they will meet people close to their age as there will be some third years and masters students still in the society.

Some maturer students (mainly under the age of 25), will choose to live in halls for the social atmosphere. So it would depend on whether you would want to be living in a place where there is no regular set sleeping pattern and noise levels. You can always ask to live in quieter areas of halls, but you still may encounter some noise. Additionally, this quieter area also tends to house mature students. Some halls will put the mature students into one flat together, as they're likely to have more in common.
Living in private housing would usually mean it's quieter, and more flexible for yourself, as well as being a lot cheaper than living in halls.

I would contact the university housing team and voicing your concerns. They may offer some options for you and help you along the way. Especially if you decide to live privately, they might know of other mature students thinking of doing the same. Also, ask about some of the things I've mentioned above and what they offer mature students.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NatLock)
Hey Guys,

Hey NatLock

Great to hear you are going to university! I would honestly not worry about fitting at all at 24! When I started university I was 22 and most people I made friends with were around the same age as me or a few years older. I recently just started another course (at 25) and again I made friends with people around the same age as me right away, I honestly didn't feel like I was old or the odd one out at all. In my course we had students right up to the age of 60, there are people from all walks of life at university.

I would recommend university accommodation because as you say, you will make a lot of friends. It may be worth asking your university if they have a mature student flat or a flat with other mature students at least. They may be able to put you in a flat with students of a similar age. If you stay in private accommodation you can still make loads of friends, if you join a society or a sports team and attend some freshers events you will make friends for sure. You can also make a lot of friends on your course when in class or doing group projects. I know it can seem daunting going to university when you feel like you are too old to fit in, but you honestly are not and you will find plenty of people around your age

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
NatLock
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! NatLock

There are lots of mature students at university, some arrive when they are 25 and over, so you're still young.
Many join societies to meet new people. This also means they will meet people close to their age as there will be some third years and masters students still in the society.

Some maturer students (mainly under the age of 25), will choose to live in halls for the social atmosphere. So it would depend on whether you would want to be living in a place where there is no regular set sleeping pattern and noise levels. You can always ask to live in quieter areas of halls, but you still may encounter some noise. Additionally, this quieter area also tends to house mature students. Some halls will put the mature students into one flat together, as they're likely to have more in common.
Living in private housing would usually mean it's quieter, and more flexible for yourself, as well as being a lot cheaper than living in halls.

I would contact the university housing team and voicing your concerns. They may offer some options for you and help you along the way. Especially if you decide to live privately, they might know of other mature students thinking of doing the same. Also, ask about some of the things I've mentioned above and what they offer mature students.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Thank you so much for your reply, I think it’s easy to get lost in your own thoughts and get worried about it! Think I dread spending 3-4 years lonely. Appreciate it thanks so much x
NatLock
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hey NatLock

Great to hear you are going to university! I would honestly not worry about fitting at all at 24! When I started university I was 22 and most people I made friends with were around the same age as me or a few years older. I recently just started another course (at 25) and again I made friends with people around the same age as me right away, I honestly didn't feel like I was old or the odd one out at all. In my course we had students right up to the age of 60, there are people from all walks of life at university.

I would recommend university accommodation because as you say, you will make a lot of friends. It may be worth asking your university if they have a mature student flat or a flat with other mature students at least. They may be able to put you in a flat with students of a similar age. If you stay in private accommodation you can still make loads of friends, if you join a society or a sports team and attend some freshers events you will make friends for sure. You can also make a lot of friends on your course when in class or doing group projects. I know it can seem daunting going to university when you feel like you are too old to fit in, but you honestly are not and you will find plenty of people around your age

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
So glad to hear this, I think it’s portrayed that university is for young fresh 18 year olds and I was so worried I would feel like the black sheep. I think it will be best to, like you say, go to halls and stay there to find my feet a bit.
Just got to choose on a university to accept me now!😅 thank you for replying x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (154)
54.8%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.59%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.25%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.63%

Watched Threads