The Student Room Group

When can I apply to American universities?

I want to apply to Ivy leagues, but how does it work and when are the deadlines? I know they don't have a system like UCAS, so are there specific deadline for each uni's like oct 15 for Oxbridge?
All I know is that unlike in the UK, you have to apply to each college directly, it doesn't go through a central standard like UCAS. you can technically apply to as many as you'd like, though since you'll be making a separate application for each its more a case of how much time and energy you can spend on it.

As applications are organised by colleges individually I think it would be best to check the deadlines with the ones you'd like to apply to, as they're likely to vary. They might also have addition requirements like an entry test, interview or certain documents for international students
Original post by lol.yolo
They might also have addition requirements like an entry test, interview or certain documents for international students

you'll probably need the SAT's as well
Original post by lol.yolo
All I know is that unlike in the UK, you have to apply to each college directly, it doesn't go through a central standard like UCAS. you can technically apply to as many as you'd like, though since you'll be making a separate application for each its more a case of how much time and energy you can spend on it.

As applications are organised by colleges individually I think it would be best to check the deadlines with the ones you'd like to apply to, as they're likely to vary. They might also have addition requirements like an entry test, interview or certain documents for international students

does that mean i'll need to write multiple personal statements?
Original post by summerbirdreads
you'll probably need the SAT's as well

I know but it seems like a waste of time, i have igcse's and i'm doing A-levels and why they require SAT's alongside those are beyond me
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by rosienotrosie
I know but it seems like a waste of time, i have igcse's and i'm doing A-levels and why they require SAT's alongside those are beyond me

Americans probably want American qualification
The SAT (or ACT - you are free to take either) is not the American equivalent of IGCSEs or A-levels; the SAT and ACT are basically like the BMAT or LNAT but instead of being subject-specific it's for general university admission.

Regarding deadlines, @ry7xsfa made an absolutely incredible post which is pinned at the top of this forum which talks all about deadlines: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7084168
Original post by rosienotrosie
does that mean i'll need to write multiple personal statements?

Personal essays are not like personal statements - they require different skills and are written entirely differently. I'm not sure if you can just reuse the same essays and change school names etc but you will most likely end up writing multiple essays as some schools have specific questions they want you to answer.

Quick Reply

Latest