Angie511
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm going to do be doing my a-levels online this year and I just can't decide what subjects i should pick.
originally I was going to go with biology, chemistry, and psychology but they're really hard and I don't particularly enjoy chemistry. also, it's really complicated to find the practicals and where to do them. there's just a lot of options with science subjects but im not that smart.
but then if I take biology and psychology without chemistry, it won't be that useful without chemistry. there are other things that interest me like french, sociology, or maybe English or philosophy but I really don't know which and time is running out. I just want them to match and not be completely different from each other. i think i would enjoy continuing on psychology but most universities don't even ask for the level so i really don't know .
re_gan112
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
do physics
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Advice about Choosing 6th Form Subjects here - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
hollyc88
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Angie511)
I'm going to do be doing my a-levels online this year and I just can't decide what subjects i should pick.
originally I was going to go with biology, chemistry, and psychology but they're really hard and I don't particularly enjoy chemistry. also, it's really complicated to find the practicals and where to do them. there's just a lot of options with science subjects but im not that smart.
but then if I take biology and psychology without chemistry, it won't be that useful without chemistry. there are other things that interest me like french, sociology, or maybe English or philosophy but I really don't know which and time is running out. I just want them to match and not be completely different from each other. i think i would enjoy continuing on psychology but most universities don't even ask for the level so i really don't know .
Do you have an idea of what you want to be doing after a-levels? Biology and psychology can be really useful without chemistry, especially depending on what you want to do.
If you don't enjoy chemistry I'd be a little hesitant about choosing it because it is, as you probably know, very challenging and complicated. In this same vein, any course/ career that requires chemistry might not be as good for you if you don't enjoy it.
Then again, a lot of my opinions on subjects have changed since I started them (I'm in year 13 now) so there's that.

I took both Psychology and Biology and they have become really useful to what I want to do at uni as I want to do a biology degree and a lot of courses require Biology and another science - a category which psychology fills.

I'd say, don't pick a subject that you reckon you won't enjoy as it is two years, and it may factor into what you do in the future. Matve have a look into what you want to after a-levels (so if you want to go to university, check a popular uni website and look for courses that interest you and look for entry requirements). And remember that you will be studying this subject for two years so maybe just pick what you think you will enjoy.
Angie511
Rep:
?
(Original post by hollyc88)
Do you have an idea of what you want to be doing after a-levels? Biology and psychology can be really useful without chemistry, especially depending on what you want to do.
If you don't enjoy chemistry I'd be a little hesitant about choosing it because it is, as you probably know, very challenging and complicated. In this same vein, any course/ career that requires chemistry might not be as good for you if you don't enjoy it.
Then again, a lot of my opinions on subjects have changed since I started them (I'm in year 13 now) so there's that.

I took both Psychology and Biology and they have become really useful to what I want to do at uni as I want to do a biology degree and a lot of courses require Biology and another science - a category which psychology fills.

I'd say, don't pick a subject that you reckon you won't enjoy as it is two years, and it may factor into what you do in the future. Matve have a look into what you want to after a-levels (so if you want to go to university, check a popular uni website and look for courses that interest you and look for entry requirements). And remember that you will be studying this subject for two years so maybe just pick what you think you will enjoy.
I wasn't 100 percent sure yet, but it's between getting a psychology, criminology or law degree but all of them have different requirements in different universities. I did chemistry in secondary school and I never enjoyed it but I don't think I gave it a fair shot cause I didn't really do much in secondary. I've come to regret that now. I decided to also pick biology as an AS level since some schools ask for a science subject or an AS level subject and I didn't think about that since I was going to fast track my a-levels this year.

im pretty sure biology AS level doesn't require the practical endorsement, right? does anyone know? I've started thinking about this way too late into the year and I'm so confused ahaha. thank you for the help, I will definitely look into that and think about what I would enjoy
Angie511
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Advice about Choosing 6th Form Subjects here - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
Thanks that definitely helped
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Angie511)
Thanks that definitely helped
Unless your looking to persue a career in the life sciences then dont do Chemistry as you wont need it. Taking into account your intended career choices why not take something like Law, Sociology or Politics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (155)
54.96%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.54%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.22%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.61%

Watched Threads