Started gap year and lost?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I recently decided to take a gap year and reapply for 2022 instead of taking a course I don’t want to. In the past couple of weeks I’ve thrown my weight behind my application for next year, like doing further reading and perfecting my personal statement. I’ve also been applying to internships but I’m just hearing anything back, although I suppose it takes a while for them to consider you. I feel like when I’ve done my application I’m going to be lost as to what to do with my time. The thought of a year is quite scary and I’m just trying to go day by day really.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I recently decided to take a gap year and reapply for 2022 instead of taking a course I don’t want to. In the past couple of weeks I’ve thrown my weight behind my application for next year, like doing further reading and perfecting my personal statement. I’ve also been applying to internships but I’m just hearing anything back, although I suppose it takes a while for them to consider you. I feel like when I’ve done my application I’m going to be lost as to what to do with my time. The thought of a year is quite scary and I’m just trying to go day by day really.
Hi,

I also took a gap year between college and university instead of starting at a different institution I wasn't comfortable going to. It's great that you are putting lots of effort and time into next years application as it will be very beneficial. I wouldn't stress yourself out too much regarding the internships as sometimes it can take a while to hear back. Don't let it put you down or stop you applying to more. Taking it day by day is the best way to approach the situation really. During my gap year I found a part time job to occupy my time and start putting some savings aside while still doing things such as further reading etc to keep up on my interest in my course. In my experience, my gap year seemed to pass by pretty fast.

Hope this helps settle your mind a little.

Kasey - ULaw Ambassador
icecream2021
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get a partime job in the meantime, and keep applying for interships and wait to hear back

But why are you doing your personal statement again it you are only taking a gap year? Or are you reapplying?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by icecream2021)
Get a partime job in the meantime, and keep applying for interships and wait to hear back

But why are you doing your personal statement again it you are only taking a gap year? Or are you reapplying?
Reapplying to a different course that I originally did.
niamhsrevision
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I haven't taken a gap year but cannot recommend enough just trying something new. Personally I love learning new things and I think to a certain extent everyone does. In lockdown I picked up Italian and loved it, literally kept me sane for months. There's something about having a long term goal that can easily be satisfied in the short term that just keeps you going. I also considered piano, sign language, street dance, sfx makeup, painnting and learning to knit lol. Basically, whatever random thing you think it would be cool to be good at, just give it a go. The internet is your best friend. Who knows, you could find something you really love, plus it's genuinely fun, whilst also feeling productive because youre working towards a goal. Good luck with your application and the rest of your year.
icecream2021
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Reapplying to a different course that I originally did.
Why do you want to reapply to the same course again?
What course? Why don’t you try something different instead maybe, something that you think you will be better at
Anonymous #1
Why do you want to reapply to the same course again?
What course? Why don’t you try something different instead maybe, something that you think you will be better at
No, I’m applying to another course. Not the one I applied to last year.
icecream2021
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I’m applying to another course. Not the one I applied to last year.
Oh, did you drop out or did it not work out
Anonymous #1
Oh, did you drop out or did it not work out
No I applied as an alevel student and I realised that I wanted to study something else. So I declined my offer for this year and will reapply for next year.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
What are you doing during the day?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
It's Ok to do nothing. This is your gap year at the end of the day. Firstly it's a brilliant idea to be considering doing a different course than you originally intend on doing.

Options for gap year
What about work experience/volunteering, p Aplying for jobs as well as internships to keep your options open and to keep you occupied too. Read a book or magazines, maybe magazines related to the degree you want to do..

Perhaps make a schedule for the week while your feeling a little bit low. So a plan that this week you will do something adventurous. Go for walks to help with your mind. Meet with friends or spend time with your family. Is there an option to volunteer (I'm unsure of the Covid situation) at charity shops or youth clubs while you are waiting for a job or internships to call you back?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (233)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (52)
12.78%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.06%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.42%

Watched Threads