Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A rare thing has happened and i've found a job role that sounds really exciting. I don't know if my experience is strong enough, so can't tell if they'll think i'm suitable. It feels necessary to approach this one differently to increase all my chances for interview. But i'm worried about putting the wrong kind of effort in, for example my cover letter could end up too emotive or naive sounding and come across as less professional. And it's a creative role, i'm considering adding some of my personal hobby work into the portfolio as they want someone who can do a wide range of things and i do lots of extra things that don't show on my cv.

What's the right way to invest my efforts for this? Aside from researching company well etc.
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's your "dream job", by the way?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
What's your "dream job", by the way?
oh sorry it's like a junior level creative production position
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
oh sorry it's like a junior level creative production position
Like in advertising?
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A rare thing has happened and i've found a job role that sounds really exciting. I don't know if my experience is strong enough, so can't tell if they'll think i'm suitable. It feels necessary to approach this one differently to increase all my chances for interview. But i'm worried about putting the wrong kind of effort in, for example my cover letter could end up too emotive or naive sounding and come across as less professional. And it's a creative role, i'm considering adding some of my personal hobby work into the portfolio as they want someone who can do a wide range of things and i do lots of extra things that don't show on my cv.

What's the right way to invest my efforts for this? Aside from researching company well etc.
Tips that might help
1. Creative CV and Cover Letter (maybe video too) it depends what the job role entails but definitely tailor the CV creativeness whether that's using Photoshop, Canva to make it look as creative as possible I'm sure you will know how to make it creative.. even. Quick google nice looking cvs come up just be careful these may be US people which isn't that helpful to the UK market at times . (maybe non related but someone got a job at PLT https://youtu.be/cM3XdXAdOZg )
2. Is there an opportunity to do a bit of snooping on the people employed for that company on LinkedIn see what stories they follow or how they got to their job. Maybe say a Hi or Hello...
3. Is there an opportunity to have an informal discussion before submitting the Cv with the company..
4. Check the companies social media pages
5. YouTube related or TikTok related..
6. Check the brands they work with..
7. Likelihood during the interview there might be a creative task too so save some creativeness for that maybe too
Last edited by Ash1234; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Like in advertising?
Not particularly it's like a creative consultancy so works across different areas. it's a unique and diverse role hence why i think it's very cool
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not particularly it's like a creative consultancy so works across different areas. it's a unique and diverse role hence why i think it's very cool
You may consider taking a brief break for now, which you can use to refresh your mind and step up your game. Then, you may look at what companies in that field want so badly so that you may have an idea of what makes them tick.
Soontobesuper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is there are way to contact them? To find out more about the job/ What theyre looking for?
Anonymous #1
You may consider taking a brief break for now, which you can use to refresh your mind and step up your game. Then, you may look at what companies in that field want so badly so that you may have an idea of what makes them tick.
Thanks, yes there is a good few weeks until deadline
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Soontobesuper)
Is there are way to contact them? To find out more about the job/ What theyre looking for?
Yes i think so, but i always wonder if it reflects badly on a person to do this at least at entry level. Shows a lack of confidence or certainty about the role and their fit for it
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks, yes there is a good few weeks until deadline
Your mental health matters. It's precious, so take care of it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ash1234)
Tips that might help
1. Creative CV and Cover Letter (maybe video too) it depends what the job role entails but definitely tailor the CV creativeness whether that's using Photoshop, Canva to make it look as creative as possible I'm sure you will know how to make it creative.. even. Quick google nice looking cvs come up just be careful these may be US people which isn't that helpful to the UK market at times . (maybe non related but someone got a job at PLT https://youtu.be/cM3XdXAdOZg )
2. Is there an opportunity to do a bit of snooping on the people employed for that company on LinkedIn see what stories they follow or how they got to their job. Maybe say a Hi or Hello...
3. Is there an opportunity to have an informal discussion before submitting the Cv with the company..
4. Check the companies social media pages
5. YouTube related or TikTok related..
6. Check the brands they work with..
7. Likelihood during the interview there might be a creative task too so save some creativeness for that maybe too
Sorry just saw this post. Thanks for the tips especially number 7 yes there is a two stage interview with an activity... are you saying it's good to save a card you haven't showed them yet here?

A portfolio is required but i wasn't sure if putting in personal creative projects would look less professional or a bit sixth formy. I am passionate about them altho they aren't as polished as my job outputs they show more original thinking.
Anonymous #1
Your mental health matters. It's precious, so take care of it.
Thank you... very true especially while job seeking
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you... very true especially while job seeking
I'm always glad to help.
Soontobesuper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes i think so, but i always wonder if it reflects badly on a person to do this at least at entry level. Shows a lack of confidence or certainty about the role and their fit for it
the other way of looking at it is that youre really keen to find out more, excited about the job, and to get info to help you prepare so you can be the best you can at the interview. And It firms you more in their mind to make you stand out instead of just being another CV
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (17)
56.67%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
10%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (4)
13.33%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
3.33%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
6.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads