The Student Room Group

Naming Courses and Universities in the Personal Statement

I am applying for only one course through UCAS. Should I name the course and university in my personal statement, so that I can clearly and specifically tailor the statement to the course and university itself?Thank you in advance and no need to talk about me wanting to apply for other courses or changing my mind: if I don't get admitted to this course then I will apply to a local (non-UK) university.
It won't really add anything, as the admissions tutors won't be expecting it to be tailored to their specific courses
Even if, say, it's meant for Oxford/Cambridge? Especially with their unique small group tutorials.
Original post by Henry Walker
Even if, say, it's meant for Oxford/Cambridge? Especially with their unique small group tutorials.

Considering the vast majority of other applicants won't be in a position to write that sort of thing, no it doesn't matter. It wouldn't be fair. And many other unis have small group tutorials (although probably not quite as small as Oxford/Cambridge)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Henry Walker
I am applying for only one course through UCAS. Should I name the course and university in my personal statement, so that I can clearly and specifically tailor the statement to the course and university itself?Thank you in advance and no need to talk about me wanting to apply for other courses or changing my mind: if I don't get admitted to this course then I will apply to a local (non-UK) university.

Yes if you're only applying for one course then it would make a good impression on the admissions board. You could even mention what you like about the city you're thinking of going to to make it sound like you are very enthusiastic.

Quick Reply

Latest