inesbillie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,
I'm new to this website, so sorry if this isn't the right place to ask.
I'm from France and applying for a BA(hons) in Primary Education with QTS for September 2022. I've already left school 2 years ago (studied in France since, medicine & cg animation) but I got very good exam results back in high school (equivalent of AAA with extra languages and English literature) . I'm fully bilingual in English and French (also got 116 on my toefl ibt), and I'm soon going to start working at a primary school here in France for the next 8 months in preparation for next year. I don't have recent experience in a UK school though (apart from school trips when I was in primary school myself lol).
My real question is, is it possible for universities to take me for this course even though I'm not a native, and am slightly older (I'll be 20 years old by September 2022)?
Im also slightly worried that even if I get in and graduate, schools won't hire me because I'm not British.

FYI I'm thinking of applying to Durham, Reading, MMU, Sheffield Hallam and Liverpool John Moores. I'm so scared I'll get rejected because I'm from France :/
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am sure you will be able to get a space on the course. However, the difficulty may be securing work in the UK.

After graduating, you will be able to work in the UK for 2 years without needing a visa. After that, you will need a school willing to sponsor you via the skilled worker's visa scheme. At the moment, as a teacher, you would be eligable for this scheme, but a school may not want to go to the effort of being your sponsor- in general, there is not a shortage of primary teachers, so it may be easier for them to chose someone who does not need a visa.

Is there a particular reason you want to teach in the UK and not France?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inesbillie)
Hi there,
I'm new to this website, so sorry if this isn't the right place to ask.
I'm from France and applying for a BA(hons) in Primary Education with QTS for September 2022. I've already left school 2 years ago (studied in France since, medicine & cg animation) but I got very good exam results back in high school (equivalent of AAA with extra languages and English literature) . I'm fully bilingual in English and French (also got 116 on my toefl ibt), and I'm soon going to start working at a primary school here in France for the next 8 months in preparation for next year. I don't have recent experience in a UK school though (apart from school trips when I was in primary school myself lol).
My real question is, is it possible for universities to take me for this course even though I'm not a native, and am slightly older (I'll be 20 years old by September 2022)?
Im also slightly worried that even if I get in and graduate, schools won't hire me because I'm not British.

FYI I'm thinking of applying to Durham, Reading, MMU, Sheffield Hallam and Liverpool John Moores. I'm so scared I'll get rejected because I'm from France :/
Why primary? I think a Secondary school is more likely to take you on.
inesbillie
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I am sure you will be able to get a space on the course. However, the difficulty may be securing work in the UK.

After graduating, you will be able to work in the UK for 2 years without needing a visa. After that, you will need a school willing to sponsor you via the skilled worker's visa scheme. At the moment, as a teacher, you would be eligable for this scheme, but a school may not want to go to the effort of being your sponsor- in general, there is not a shortage of primary teachers, so it may be easier for them to chose someone who does not need a visa.

Is there a particular reason you want to teach in the UK and not France?
Yes this is my biggest fear honestly, I was hoping that if I kept the same job once I graduate, then the school would be willing to sponsor my visa after the 2 year graduate visa expires, but of course I would need to get a secure job right after graduating…
The reason I want to teach in the UK is simply because I really want to live there, and the education system in France is garbage. It may not be the best reason but since Brexit, it seems moving to England is becoming nearly impossible for me :/
Do you know if it is hard or expensive for schools to sponsor a visa?
inesbillie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why primary? I think a Secondary school is more likely to take you on.
Mostly because of finances, it only takes 3 years to become a primary school teacher, whereas it takes 5 to become a secondary school teacher. With brexit, tuition fees for international students range from 15k to 20k and I can’t afford that for five years. Also the fact that I may not even get a job in the end, and a student loan doesn’t seem very smart considering I’ll be living off a teacher salary.
I also prefer younger children to teenagers lol…
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mostly because of finances, it only takes 3 years to become a primary school teacher, whereas it takes 5 to become a secondary school teacher. With brexit, tuition fees for international students range from 15k to 20k and I can’t afford that for five years. Also the fact that I may not even get a job in the end, and a student loan doesn’t seem very smart considering I’ll be living off a teacher salary.
I also prefer younger children to teenagers lol…
That's not true re 5 years ... a quick google found this https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/s...tion-with-qts/
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes this is my biggest fear honestly, I was hoping that if I kept the same job once I graduate, then the school would be willing to sponsor my visa after the 2 year graduate visa expires, but of course I would need to get a secure job right after graduating…
The reason I want to teach in the UK is simply because I really want to live there, and the education system in France is garbage. It may not be the best reason but since Brexit, it seems moving to England is becoming nearly impossible for me :/
Do you know if it is hard or expensive for schools to sponsor a visa?
At the moment (bear in mind things could change), it would cost the school £536 or £1476 depending on the size of the school etc. I don't think the process is that complex, but it is additional admin for the school. Some schools may already be sponsors, of course, and then I believe there is no additional cost to the school.

It's not impossible but:

1) A lot of schools employ ECTs (new teachers) on temporary 1 year contracts initially, getting a permanent contract straight after graduating is not a given.

2) In some areas of the country, there is an oversaturation of primary teachers, and the school may feel it's not worth sponsoring your visa.

3) You might end up feeling trapped in a role, because each time you move you would have to find a school that would sponsor your visa.

But a lot could change in three years.

I think it would be worth checking if you would be qualified to teach in France if you couldn't secure a visa in the UK- I understand you don't really want to teach there, but it would be a good fallback option, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (307)
57.82%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
13.94%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.47%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.77%

Watched Threads