random user 111
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you recommend that I take 160 credits in a year, 80 credits per semester. I’m a first year AI undergraduate student, I would like to know if I can do that and still take part in societies, get good grades all without severely affecting me mentally.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As 120 credits is full time, I don't think it's generally advisable to take more than that in a year. I don't even think the OU will let you take more than that (although don't quote me on it.)
random user 111
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
As 120 credits is full time, I don't think it's generally advisable to take more than that in a year. I don't even think the OU will let you take more than that (although don't quote me on it.)
I'm thinking of taking German and French beginner courses worth 10 credits each -> 20 extra credits per semester -> 40 extra credits in one year.
I do have some background knowledge about it, do you think its doable?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by random user 111)
I'm thinking of taking German and French beginner courses worth 10 credits each -> 20 extra credits per semester -> 40 extra credits in one year.
I do have some background knowledge about it, do you think its doable?
If you're literally just studying, and you have no family commitments and no part time job, then yes I think it's doable if you work hard to get good grades, but you won't have a great deal of spare time. You said you wanted to take part in societies and not affect your mental health - only you can know that really. You might cope, or you might feel really burned out.
I don't even know if the uni would allow it anyway.

Are you definitely posting in the right section? Are you in the OU?
random user 111
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
If you're literally just studying, and you have no family commitments and no part time job, then yes I think it's doable if you work hard to get good grades, but you won't have a great deal of spare time. You said you wanted to take part in societies and not affect your mental health - only you can know that really. You might cope, or you might feel really burned out.
I don't even know if the uni would allow it anyway.

Are you definitely posting in the right section? Are you in the OU?
I mistakenly thought that the term Open University means a normal UK university, I do sincerely apologise Sir for any inconvenience
I'm studying at Sheffield and they'll allow you take it but it wont count towards your credits, Im moving out to another city and will be a full time student with no job. thank you for your advice it really helped clear some doubts in my mind
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by random user 111)
I mistakenly thought that the term Open University means a normal UK university, I do sincerely apologise Sir for any inconvenience
I'm studying at Sheffield and they'll allow you take it but it wont count towards your credits, Im moving out to another city and will be a full time student with no job. thank you for your advice it really helped clear some doubts in my mind
I'm a Mrs not a Sir, but it's not a problem at all, you just may get more responses if you post in the section for your uni.

If you're at the University of Sheffield, this is the link to that section :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=48

If you're at Sheffield Hallam, this is the link to that section :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=199

All the best with your studies
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
random user 111 As above, if you confirm which of the two Sheffield unis you are at, I can request that this existing thread is moved there if you like. You may get more replies from current students who had the option to complete additional credits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (237)
57.38%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.83%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.14%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.72%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.36%

Watched Threads