Minorities and politics

Watch
gamzov2011
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Are Britons from minority communities represented in political parties? Which community has the most elected representatives in the country? Indians, Pakistanis, Africans,Caribbean or Chinese?
Chadmiral Nelson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gamzov2011)
Are Britons from minority communities represented in political parties? Which community has the most elected representatives in the country? Indians, Pakistanis, Africans,Caribbean or Chinese?
Yes. If anything they are overrepresented in government. 30% of the cabinet office is of an ethnic minority background, whilst they only make up around 13% (perhaps leaning closer to 20% now) of the general population.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Generally speaking the Indians and Chinese are likely to lean and be represented by the Conservative Party. Labour has significant support among Muslims and Africans.

There are grey areas such as Javid who is an atheist of Muslim Pakistani heritage.
Joleee
Badges: 19
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chadmiral Nelson)
Yes. If anything they are overrepresented in government. 30% of the cabinet office is of an ethnic minority background, whilst they only make up around 13% (perhaps leaning closer to 20% now) of the general population.
you realise that the cabinet is just a small part of government, right (?) so evidently your claim of overrepresentation in government is not correct?
Djtoodles
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gamzov2011)
Yes, they are, 10% of MP's are from a minority ethnic background as are 6.3% in the House of Lords. That being does it really matter if x% of the population is y minority should all levels of government match this ratio? Even if it did matter you can’t really force the issue without being discriminatory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads