Asian parents pushing me to get higher uni rankings

Watch
chaoyangtea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically what it says in the title. My Asian parents are pushing me to go to higher ranked unis (my uni choices for UCAS are all pretty up there, above 100 on the QS rankings). For example, I'm not choosing UCL or Edinburgh because the courses there don't interest me and they're known for being notoriously selective (I want some more safe choices), but I am choosing Russell Group unis that have good reputations within the world and in the UK. How do I convince my parents against this, and how important are uni rankings really?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chaoyangtea)
Basically what it says in the title. My Asian parents are pushing me to go to higher ranked unis (my uni choices for UCAS are all pretty up there, above 100 on the QS rankings). For example, I'm not choosing UCL or Edinburgh because the courses there don't interest me and they're known for being notoriously selective (I want some more safe choices), but I am choosing Russell Group unis that have good reputations within the world and in the UK. How do I convince my parents against this, and how important are uni rankings really?
Which course? Which unis are you looking at?
jj.repinec
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As a previous UCL Student, I can assure you that picking a "higher ranked uni" (UCL was top 5 for my course) definitely does not meaning a better university/teaching/experience. In fact I bet the teaching/resources at UCL would be on par with universities that are ranked 10 positions below them. One thing in picking a higher ranked uni like UCL is it does guarantee a much harder and more difficult course and basically you having a harder time with uni overall and obviously the reputation that the uni brings.
Last edited by jj.repinec; 4 weeks ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Show them how much the rankings change every year
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And how different rankings in the same year contradict each other.

Its no way to choose a Uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads