The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is it normal to have pre-lab anxiety?

I'm a new PG who will be starting lab research soon. Since here is a totally new environment with different set of rules, modus operandi, nowhere similar to my former university where I'm kinda used to their labs.

I'm quite anxious about the multitude of uncertainties, especially under so many COVID-based restrictions as well as lots of untold "norms".

Is it normal to have pre-lab anxiety? What's the best way to calm thyself?
It's normal to have anxiety about new situations and places. I've been working in analytical chemistry labs for the past 2 years and I just started a chemistry course at university this week and felt out of place in their labs. A lot of the equipment and techniques I've had to use in practicals are ones I haven't used since college (about 1.5 years ago), so I felt quite self-conscious initially. It's beneficial though, as it gives me an opportunity to continue my development by allowing me to improve my knowledge and skills of lab equipment, documentation, techniques, and the theory behind the experiments.

I'm not sure what labs you have worked in previously or what type of lab you're going into soon, but they're unlikely to be as dissimilar as you're expecting. Assuming it's the same area of work, the rules and basic equipment will be similar to the labs you're used to. "Untold norms" aren't something to be worried about; people will understand that you're new and need time to adjust.

As for ways to calm yourself? Try breathing techniques, talk to a friend/family member/partner before your first day or on your break, do something relaxing the day before, make sure you have everything you need prepared so your first day doesn't feel as hectic, stuff like that.

Hope it all goes well :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending