Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have just joined an area very close to a university and I want to continue playing a sport I've been playing since I was small. I want to join the uni team or play at the uni but will they let me, if I'm not going to their uni?
lojawa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have just joined an area very close to a university and I want to continue playing a sport I've been playing since I was small. I want to join the uni team or play at the uni but will they let me, if I'm not going to their uni?
Probably not, because you usually have to sign up via the online Uni portal with your student details, but worth asking them if you can find the sports club contact info on their website. Can’t you join local clubs?
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You might be able to come to training if you pay for membership ect but unlikely to be able to play against other teams in leagues as you have to be a student in that case, at least in the BUCS league, I have somone in my team who is taking a year out due to working at the student union full time he's coming to training but can't compete in matches best thing is to ask
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely not in BUCS, otherwise half the uni teams in the country would be packed with ringers. Some unions have associate memberships and also field teams in non-BUCS leagues - but it depends on a lot of things. One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of these sports are heavily subsidised. The fees that students pay, even if its £50 or £100 a year don't begin to cover the costs of these sports, which is why for example a university hockey team charges £75 a year with no match fees, whereas a club charges £250 with match fees and you have to pay to get yourself to matches.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

This is unlikely. As the sports are all run through the university union, so you would have to attend the university to be able to access the members. Plus like others have said, you would not be able to compete in BUCS as you do not belong to the university.
Is there not a team/place in your area to play your sport?

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
86.71%
No (19)
13.29%

Watched Threads