Jcon94
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
Is anybody hoping to apply at Chester for graduate entry medicine?
It isn’t open to UK students yet but I’m hoping it will be ready by the time I am applying to universities (October 2022).
Leaf.
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
can uk students apply for 2022 entry? It says on there website there taking intake for sept 2022?
University of Chester
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi Jcon94 and Leaf. :hello:

Our plans are to take our first students in September 2022, but this is subject to our programme obtaining approval from the General Medical Council. We are in the process of applying for that approval and hope to have a decision by the Autumn of 2021. Until that approval is obtained, we are unable to recruit students.

You should also be aware that pending any increase in funding for medical student places by the UK government, any places that we offer in September 2022 will be subject to full economic costed fees. These are in the region of £40,000 per annum. For this reason, until further funded places are made available, the vast majority of our places in 2022 will be for International students where we are able to charge the full fees. Having said that, we do want to make as many places as possible available to UK students with a fee cap of £9,250.

We are very hopeful that by 2023, the government will have announced an expansion in funded medical school places which will allow us to take UK students. :crossedf:

I hope this helps!

Alex
Jcon94
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Leaf.)
can uk students apply for 2022 entry? It says on there website there taking intake for sept 2022?
I am hoping to be able to apply in 2022 to start in 2023 so I’m really hoping I will be able to apply to Chester by then!
jobojobojoboxxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Chester)
Hi Jcon94 and Leaf. :hello:

Our plans are to take our first students in September 2022, but this is subject to our programme obtaining approval from the General Medical Council. We are in the process of applying for that approval and hope to have a decision by the Autumn of 2021. Until that approval is obtained, we are unable to recruit students.

You should also be aware that pending any increase in funding for medical student places by the UK government, any places that we offer in September 2022 will be subject to full economic costed fees. These are in the region of £40,000 per annum. For this reason, until further funded places are made available, the vast majority of our places in 2022 will be for International students where we are able to charge the full fees. Having said that, we do want to make as many places as possible available to UK students with a fee cap of £9,250.

We are very hopeful that by 2023, the government will have announced an expansion in funded medical school places which will allow us to take UK students. :crossedf:

I hope this helps!

Alex
hi
Can I ask if UK students are able to apply if they can pay the full fees?
University of Chester
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jobojobojoboxxx)
hi
Can I ask if UK students are able to apply if they can pay the full fees?
Hi jobojobojoboxxx

Unfortunately, UK students aren't currently able to apply for September 2022 entry. This is because the Government has currently not assigned the University any funding for UK students. This means that for September 2022, we are only going to be able to take International students. We hope this will change for 2023.

The reason for this is that the clinical placements for medical students are funded separately by the Government and are around £35,000 per annum. This money goes straight to the NHS placement provider (i.e. medical schools do not "see" this money). However, this money is "capped" by the Government, effectively limiting the number of medical student places available. We can't offer places to students on the course without the clinical placements and, without the £35,000 from the Government each year, the NHS hospitals won't make the placements available. For International students, there is a "work-around" if they are able to pay for their clinical placements themselves. This is not open to UK students since the fees for UK students are always capped at £9250 per annum.

Our aim in Chester is to lobby hard for the Government to increase funding for medical student places so we can take UK students. Indeed, our whole ethos is around widening participation to medicine for local students. As soon as we have any news regarding this funding, we can let you know.

Fingers crossed we will be able to start accepting UK students from 2023!

Alex
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Chester)
... This is not open to UK students since the fees for UK students are always capped at £9250 per annum...
Thank you for being clear.

But it's a shame home students couldn't pay £40,000 or whatever per year because Buckingham med school has managed to do that (they accept UK students but they pay international fees).

But then I suppose it would be unfair if, in the future, you'd have one year group paying £40,000 odd and another year group paying £9250 / the GEM rate.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
11.11%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.11%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.78%
Finding the motivation (21)
23.33%
Getting distracted (14)
15.56%
Procrastination (36)
40%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed