nightingalegend
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m in year 12 and currently on the hunt for work experience (i’m hoping to apply for medicine next year). i’ve formally emailed quite a few GPs in my area (and beyond) and received two rejections so far. as a side note, i’m well aware of email etiquette and have a guide on how to attractively structure an email when emailing hospitals and GP surgeries.

if i’m honest, the process is quite tedious and i don’t see how i’m going to get myself a placement this year — especially with the current pandemic — and so i wanted to ask, how have students in sixth form been able to effectively secure work experience placements?

is the only option really to ring around and email as many GP surgeries as possible — not to mention that most GP practices don’t list email addresses on their websites and phoning GPs is a nightmare because of the waiting times? i’m willing to try, but i’m also worried about how i’ll be able to come across the right way over the phone; GPs value politeness and understanding and i can get quite anxious while speaking so things might just come out wrong, for lack of a better word.

my sixth form has a careers advisor and i will try to speak to her, but she’s a bit unwilling to see students for some odd reason. in the meantime, i’m also looking for volunteering opportunities and am trying to get my father (who is a doctor) to help me get some hospital work experience.

any advice from students who managed to get work experience will be incredibly helpful!
hannahjaek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nightingalegend)
i’m in year 12 and currently on the hunt for work experience (i’m hoping to apply for medicine next year). i’ve formally emailed quite a few GPs in my area (and beyond) and received two rejections so far. as a side note, i’m well aware of email etiquette and have a guide on how to attractively structure an email when emailing hospitals and GP surgeries.

if i’m honest, the process is quite tedious and i don’t see how i’m going to get myself a placement this year — especially with the current pandemic — and so i wanted to ask, how have students in sixth form been able to effectively secure work experience placements?

is the only option really to ring around and email as many GP surgeries as possible — not to mention that most GP practices don’t list email addresses on their websites and phoning GPs is a nightmare because of the waiting times? i’m willing to try, but i’m also worried about how i’ll be able to come across the right way over the phone; GPs value politeness and understanding and i can get quite anxious while speaking so things might just come out wrong, for lack of a better word.

my sixth form has a careers advisor and i will try to speak to her, but she’s a bit unwilling to see students for some odd reason. in the meantime, i’m also looking for volunteering opportunities and am trying to get my father (who is a doctor) to help me get some hospital work experience.

any advice from students who managed to get work experience will be incredibly helpful!
I have a great email/phonecall template that my ucas advisor gave to us! feel free to use it!
Attached files
nightingalegend
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahjaek)
I have a great email/phonecall template that my ucas advisor gave to us! feel free to use it!
this was actually the one i was using! thank you though <3

how did you go about ringing them? i’ve seen someone say that initially, only ask for just a few days of shadowing, because then they’re most likely to give you longer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (259)
57.43%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (60)
13.3%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.64%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (39)
8.65%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.43%

Watched Threads