i’m scared to meet new people, but i’m scared not to make friends at uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi,

so i moved into uni today and i’m too scared to meet anyone new. i spent the day with my parents (i’m the youngest and it was hard, so we wanted to explore together ) but i’m scared to meet others in freshers. i’ve looked at events and there are a few with spaces that i am interested in, but because of my anxiety, i’m scared they’re going to despise me. in reality i know people that seem super friendly are likely as scared as me, but every time i think about meeting them , i feel like vomiting.

i think there’s a couple of others in my flat (at least 1, i can faintly here them) and i want to seem hi but i’m terrified. what should i do? do i just introduce myself ? i’m also very shy but want to meet people as i don’t want to spend the next three years alone .

any advice would be amazing, thank you .
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
haha i just started uni at hull today and im terrified of meeting people too. just staying in my room at the moment lol
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The longer you avoid this situation the worse it'll be for you. Go and introduce yourself. And start working on your self confidence. If needed, seek help from your GP.
KA_P
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Keep your door open with your shoe. Go to the kitchen and get some food... Get it slowly and take your time walking down the corridors. Prepare some random questions for people in the same room. They are just as nervous as you. Ask them where they've come from. Have they made any friends so far. What subject they're taking. Which room they're in. Um what Freshers events they've chosen. Whether they want a chewing gum? Hm that's about all I've got aha. Maybe just try not to stay in an empty room that no one else is likely to come into? Idk I'm taking a gap year so I'm only giving you advice based on advice I've heard.
Soontobesuper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KA_P)
Idk I'm taking a gap year so I'm only giving you advice based on advice I've heard.
No honestly this is v good advice!!

(Original post by Anonymous)
i’m also very shy but want to meet people as i don’t want to spend the next three years alone .

any advice would be amazing, thank you .
But yea the longer you wait the harder it will be and itll be a lonely three years!

All it takes is one question to start a conversation, one offer of a walk around campus to orientate yourself/join you at the freshers fayre (to find more friendship making opportunities!)/ offer of watching netflix or something in the kitchen/offer of sharing a pack of cookies

Or when you start your course, ask if someone wants to grab lunch between lectures.

Worse case/unlikely scenario you dont get on, while your uni probably has 10,000s freshers, just wait for the next opportunity!

The first step is the hardest, and it only gets easier

Youve got this op
Anonymous #1
haha i just started uni at hull today and im terrified of meeting people too. just staying in my room at the moment lol
hope it gets better for you!! i’m going to follow some of the advice below, so i hope it works for you as well!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
The longer you avoid this situation the worse it'll be for you. Go and introduce yourself. And start working on your self confidence. If needed, seek help from your GP.
thank you, i will tomorrow. i do usually get help, but seeing as i’ve moved around 3.5-4 hours away they’ve recommended seeing a local one or contacting a uni nurse, but ive been working on self confidence and have come quite a long way, but still more to come to be the best of my ability
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KA_P)
Keep your door open with your shoe. Go to the kitchen and get some food... Get it slowly and take your time walking down the corridors. Prepare some random questions for people in the same room. They are just as nervous as you. Ask them where they've come from. Have they made any friends so far. What subject they're taking. Which room they're in. Um what Freshers events they've chosen. Whether they want a chewing gum? Hm that's about all I've got aha. Maybe just try not to stay in an empty room that no one else is likely to come into? Idk I'm taking a gap year so I'm only giving you advice based on advice I've heard.
thank you! i will, i’m just terrible at first meeting. i’ve heard them for a few hours, so i think we’re in the same boat, so hopefully tomorrow we will introduce ourselves!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Soontobesuper)

But yea the longer you wait the harder it will be and itll be a lonely three years!

All it takes is one question to start a conversation, one offer of a walk around campus to orientate yourself/join you at the freshers fayre (to find more friendship making opportunities!)/ offer of watching netflix or something in the kitchen/offer of sharing a pack of cookies

Or when you start your course, ask if someone wants to grab lunch between lectures.

Worse case/unlikely scenario you dont get on, while your uni probably has 10,000s freshers, just wait for the next opportunity!

The first step is the hardest, and it only gets easier

Youve got this op
thank you! im going to push the boat out, the worst that happens is we don’t get along 🤷🏻*♀️but as you say, there’s always loads of other people! thank you !
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mostly made friends with people on my course tbh, don't stress about not making friends in halls.

Just talk to people on your course, in labs (if you do science), lectures, seminars etc.
Last edited by FutureMissMRCS; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FutureMissMRCS)
I mostly made friends with people on my course tbh, don't stress about not making friends in halls.

Just talk to people on your course, in labs (if you do science), lectures, seminars etc.
thank you! i’m hoping for similar people in my course , but i wasn’t too sure if most people make good friends in their course or at accommodation, my sibling live at home through their degree thank you
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Just say hi it's not hard
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
Just say hi it's not hard
lol thats tyt its hard to say hi too start with heyy instead
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
lol thats tyt its hard to say hi too start with heyy instead
Anything is better than fingering your lips just sat there quiet introvert that's just embarrassing
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you! i will, i’m just terrible at first meeting. i’ve heard them for a few hours, so i think we’re in the same boat, so hopefully tomorrow we will introduce ourselves
You can do this!!!
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Soontobesuper)
Aha thank youu)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (155)
54.96%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.54%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.22%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed