Resit coursework disadvantaged me severely, what can I do?

Watch
Difference99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am studying Software Engineering and until recently was getting first-class grades, however for two modules I basically misunderstood everything and had to retake the assessment uncapped as I had declared extenuating circumstances. One of these module's coursework was to develop a web-app and then the other was to performance test that web-app.

Because I failed the web-dev module I did not submit and I did not have a branch of code that worked properly and built correctly. Now, for the other module's resit coursework I was made to load test the same site from the other module 8 months prior which I had also failed! So of course I did not have a proper working web-app to load-test. I spent about 2 weeks of the re-assessment period just fixing the code and making it actually to the point where I could even start the actual resit coursework of performance testing the website, which I think is very unfair and disadvantaged me greatly, resit coursework for one module should not be based on the coursework for another module. Why should the quality of my resit coursework for 1 module be determined, or at least limited, by the quality of my submission for a different module 8 months prior?

Also there was a reflective essay component where we had to write about our development process and ensuring optimal performance when we developed the web-app 8 months prior, and I could not remember a thing. We were never told to make a note of these things at the time in case we had to take a resit, and I effectively just had to make things up in the essay which was an absolute nightmare.

I ended up getting 50% on the resit which is way below my average of 73%.

I feel completely cheated, if they had just developed a separate web-app specifically for the purpose of performance testing that was actually modular, I am certain my grade would have been much higher as I constantly dealt with errors in the poorly developed web-app and spent about 2/5 of the total assessment time just fixing and getting the website ready for testing.

Is there anything I can do? I want to put in a complaint at a minimum. Thanks.
lalexm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Difference99)
I am studying Software Engineering and until recently was getting first-class grades, however for two modules I basically misunderstood everything and had to retake the assessment uncapped as I had declared extenuating circumstances. One of these module's coursework was to develop a web-app and then the other was to performance test that web-app.

Because I failed the web-dev module I did not submit and I did not have a branch of code that worked properly and built correctly. Now, for the other module's resit coursework I was made to load test the same site from the other module 8 months prior which I had also failed! So of course I did not have a proper working web-app to load-test. I spent about 2 weeks of the re-assessment period just fixing the code and making it actually to the point where I could even start the actual resit coursework of performance testing the website, which I think is very unfair and disadvantaged me greatly, resit coursework for one module should not be based on the coursework for another module. Why should the quality of my resit coursework for 1 module be determined, or at least limited, by the quality of my submission for a different module 8 months prior?

Also there was a reflective essay component where we had to write about our development process and ensuring optimal performance when we developed the web-app 8 months prior, and I could not remember a thing. We were never told to make a note of these things at the time in case we had to take a resit, and I effectively just had to make things up in the essay which was an absolute nightmare.

I ended up getting 50% on the resit which is way below my average of 73%.

I feel completely cheated, if they had just developed a separate web-app specifically for the purpose of performance testing that was actually modular, I am certain my grade would have been much higher as I constantly dealt with errors in the poorly developed web-app and spent about 2/5 of the total assessment time just fixing and getting the website ready for testing.

Is there anything I can do? I want to put in a complaint at a minimum. Thanks.
It might be worth complaining but essentially, the basis of you argument is that one module should not be the prerequisite for another module, which I suspect the college will reject, as I doubt they will have anything that stipulates that this should not be the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (243)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (55)
13.03%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.53%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.27%

Watched Threads