For those who attend secondary schools in England, what is their current mask policy?

Watch
RJDG14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I asked a similar question in late 2020 because I knew that quite a lot of schools were requiring students not to wear face masks in lessons, even if students were required to wear them in corridors. I know that face masks were made mandatory in classrooms from about March to May this year, but the government then reversed the guidance, and as a result I was wondering, for those here who attend secondary schools, what their current mask policy is (I left secondary school 5 years ago but heard from my mum that some were banning masks from being worn in lessons last year on discipline grounds, which I found quite surprising considering that the majority of countries with a mask mandate were requiring them to be worn in classrooms)? Are some schools in England now banning face masks from being worn again, or have most adopted an approach whereby they are not compulsory but optional?

This was the policy of my old secondary school last year (copied from their website and subsequently from a post I made then; I can't find any updated policy on their website):

Pupils will not be allowed to wear face coverings in classrooms or during lessons as the measures we already have in place with regards to social distancing, cleaning and personal hygiene already provide the greatest benefits against transmission of the virus.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The secondary school I work at doesn’t expect pupils to wear masks but they can if they want to - same for staff
Prayz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RJDG14)
I asked a similar question in late 2020 because I knew that quite a lot of schools were requiring students not to wear face masks in lessons, even if students were required to wear them in corridors. I know that face masks were made mandatory in classrooms from about March to May this year, but the government then reversed the guidance, and as a result I was wondering, for those here who attend secondary schools, what their current mask policy is (I left secondary school 5 years ago but heard from my mum that some were banning masks from being worn in lessons last year on discipline grounds, which I found quite surprising considering that the majority of countries with a mask mandate were requiring them to be worn in classrooms)? Are some schools in England now banning face masks from being worn again, or have most adopted an approach whereby they are not compulsory but optional?

This was the policy of my old secondary school last year (copied from their website and subsequently from a post I made then; I can't find any updated policy on their website):

Pupils will not be allowed to wear face coverings in classrooms or during lessons as the measures we already have in place with regards to social distancing, cleaning and personal hygiene already provide the greatest benefits against transmission of the virus.
Hi, The secondary school I go to have decided to get rid of the masks but have told students that they can still wear one if they wish. The same rule goes for the teachers. My maths teacher argues that we should still wear them because, and I quote, "Covid is not gone and cases are still rising slowly"
Hope this helps in any way
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey, im at a sixth form college (16-18)

masks are no longer mandated. besides in whole year assemblies (around 300 ppl) but it takes place in an external venue so i think that's their rules. if it wasn't for the rules of that place, it'd be a whole school assembly w around 600 students

we can wear masks everywhere besides lessons (where they are forbidden).
AriefaRahman1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No face coverings in my school 😥😥 (sixthform)
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thread has been moved to Secondary School, Sixth Form and FE College. :yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (266)
57.45%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (63)
13.61%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.37%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.86%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.4%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.32%

Watched Threads