Can Americans/Australians of British ancestry get a right of return

Watch
minpum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Can they return to Britain based on the idea this was their homeland 300 years ago?

If not, why not?
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
UK law has long been hostile to jus sanguinis.

But it's useful to ask the same question about those other two countries. I don't know about Aus law. For the US, in theory it could work but only if your string of ancestors all maintained US citizenship, which would be tricky while they all lived abroad as the US bars dual nationality for adults.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can someone remind me of the reason to why their ancestors were sent to Australia in the first place?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, because the law states quite clearly that they cant. A nebulous potential ancestry of 3 centuries ago hardly makes them British.. The closest you would get is the old laws regarding grandparents and im fairly sure those have been scrapped as well.

(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Can someone remind me of the reason to why their ancestors were sent to Australia in the first place?
Some immigrated to escape the class system, some were convicts, some were ex cons, some simply wanted adventure, some were paid etc. etc. there are countless other examples.
anarchism101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nope, rights to UK citizenship by descent is limited to one generation most of the time, occasionally two depending on circumstances, and that's basically it.
Louis IX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No.

We sent our convicts over there for a reason. :lol:
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Everyone who has said no in this thread has just shown how ridiculous the Jewish position is regarding Palestine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (42)
13.04%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (88)
27.33%
I'm a bit unsure (57)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (110)
34.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
7.76%

Watched Threads