The Student Room Group

Is Britain getting better or worse as a country?

Do you think as a country we are getting happier, healthier and more intelligent?

Does it even matter?

Scroll to see replies

Say on average, no one knows. Depends on what type of social ladder you were born into. Britain is and always shall be a country that loves prioritising those with money, over those that don't. Yes, there have been improvements over the last 80 years for basic human rights. But for kids generally born into lower class or desolate backgrounds, nah, and with job opportunities like manual apprenticeships dwindling, and things like BTEC's getting discriminated against just to keep people that don't get A-Levels out of University and any type of decent paying job, nah. I believe though that one shouldn't rely on the government for anything, those within it's hierarchy have been born into privilege and have never seen or experienced financial or social hardship throughout their lives. So it's up to the individual to just carry on and try and make something of their lives. Because no matter what political party these people are in Parliament, nothing will change in that regard
Worse. It’s an absolute shithole. No law and order, no morals, no society. Joke of a country.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by imlikeahermit
Worse. It’s an absolute shithole. No law and order, no morals, no society. Joke of a country.

What countries do you see as growing and going in the right direction?
I think it’s getting worse. If I were to list every reason why it would be gigantic but I feel I can sum it up by saying that from top to bottom there has been a marked decline in logic, intelligence, backbone and prioritisation.
Reply 5

I think you need to open your eyes. Crime isn't that bad. How many times were you burgled/assaulted last week?

We do have morals. It was nice to see the Christians holding their silent vigil outside the abortion clinic on my street this morning.

And we have a wonderful society. I'm currently waiting for my DofE group to wuiten down for the night. A country without society doesn't have stuff like that.
Original post by minpum
Do you think as a country we are getting happier, healthier and more intelligent?

Does it even matter?

No this country is cringe.

We are more miserable
We are probably slightly healthier
We are definitely getting stupider

Two Countries that I think are getting it right are China and Hungary and to a lesser extent Poland and Russia. That's not to say that these countries don't have problems - they do lots- the difference is I think they are improving on them whereas most countries seem to be doubling down on their problems.

The worst countries right now are Canada, America, Scotland, Sweden and Australia.
Reply 7
Nope, most surveys on this topic note the country is miserable and divided.. ive seen nothing to the contrary or to say that those findings are wrong. Culture wars, brexit, *****y incomes, declining living standards.. there isnt much to be happy about
Original post by hotpud
I think you need to open your eyes. Crime isn't that bad. How many times were you burgled/assaulted last week?

We do have morals. It was nice to see the Christians holding their silent vigil outside the abortion clinic on my street this morning.

And we have a wonderful society. I'm currently waiting for my DofE group to wuiten down for the night. A country without society doesn't have stuff like that.

Crime isn’t that bad? Where are you comparing it too? Afghanistan? Because I suppose it’s not. Compared to other western countries such as Denmark, or Japan this country is a lawless shithole and I stand by that. Add to that some crimes aren’t even taken seriously, like anti social behaviour, we’re lawless and out of control, you just need to go outside to see that. Literally whole towns now are no go areas, full of the poorest in society who continue to look for excuse after excuse for their poor behaviour.

One set of church goers does not a moral country make. There’s vagabonds everywhere, drinking in the street at 8 in the morning, littering, swearing in front of their children. Our moral values are sharply declining, and they have been for decades.

What society? If we had a good society it would stick to the covid restrictions. It did not. Countries like Japan did and they are much better off now as a result. We don’t have a society anymore. Brexit has divided this country more than ever. The poor, more than ever now are blaming the rich for their problems, much like the rich are blaming the poor. As a middle earner I can’t stand both, but I also hate the fact that people in this country have no ambition whatsoever. The fact we cannot fill job vacancies because they’d rather sit on the dole is testament to this.
Crime isn’t that bad? Where are you comparing it too? Afghanistan? Because I suppose it’s not. Compared to other western countries such as Denmark, or Japan this country is a lawless shithole and I stand by that. Add to that some crimes aren’t even taken seriously, like anti social behaviour, we’re lawless and out of control, you just need to go outside to see that. Literally whole towns now are no go areas, full of the poorest in society who continue to look for excuse after excuse for their poor behaviour.

One set of church goers does not a moral country make. There’s vagabonds everywhere, drinking in the street at 8 in the morning, littering, swearing in front of their children. Our moral values are sharply declining, and they have been for decades.

What society? If we had a good society it would stick to the covid restrictions. It did not. Countries like Japan did and they are much better off now as a result. We don’t have a society anymore. Brexit has divided this country more than ever. The poor, more than ever now are blaming the rich for their problems, much like the rich are blaming the poor. As a middle earner I can’t stand both, but I also hate the fact that people in this country have no ambition whatsoever. The fact we cannot fill job vacancies because they’d rather sit on the dole is testament to this.

The words you are looking for is Social Trust.

Eg to what extent if any a citizens trusts his fellow citizen not to harm him. So in his book the Abolition of Britain which I'd think you'd like, Peter Hitchens talk about when he lived in the USSR nobody did things like hold doors for people to the extent that when he did it , people were scared or hostile to him because they thought he was going to attack them or something. You also had people rightly being distrustful of the government and even their own friends and family could be potentially spying on them.

Now fast forward to our day you have the same stuff starting to play out. Eg democrats are getting mad about people not taking the vaccine when Kamala Harris herself said she would not take the vaccine under the Trump admin.

There is also the demographic argument. Japan has high social trust because they have very low levels of immigration. How can you have trust in your neighbour if you can't even speak the same language?
Original post by minpum
What countries do you see as growing and going in the right direction?

Any country that is not western society, Eastern Europe has some great countries with actual men being men, and women being women...

I have no hope for a society that is so liberal, they are willing to deny history by tearing down statues like degenerates...
That is how Cucked the Western world has become...

Matter of fact, if you are worried about the country you live in, the only thing you should be worried about as a result, is getting your money up, and leaving and living elsewhere, that simple.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Crime isn’t that bad?

How many crimes did you experience first hand last week? Me? None. In fact, none for the last 15 years or so. Sure, there are lots of reports in the papers, but as far as I am concerned it is all heresy. Our local councillor has taken to reporting weekly crime stats for my local area. Last week... there were a massive 11 crimes committed. Hardly a crime wave in a ward of around 20,000 people.
Original post by hotpud
How many crimes did you experience first hand last week? Me? None. In fact, none for the last 15 years or so. Sure, there are lots of reports in the papers, but as far as I am concerned it is all heresy. Our local councillor has taken to reporting weekly crime stats for my local area. Last week... there were a massive 11 crimes committed. Hardly a crime wave in a ward of around 20,000 people.

Sure, but I'm guessing you don't live in hackney or somewhere,

Personally I've never been a victim of crime but I live in a relativley higher crime area and have to live near it.
Reply 13
Original post by Starship Trooper
Sure, but I'm guessing you don't live in hackney or somewhere,

Personally I've never been a victim of crime but I live in a relativley higher crime area and have to live near it.

True. But if I look at the crime for Hackney is it really a million miles from what we might expect?

https://www.police.uk/pu/your-area/metropolitan-police-service/hackney-central/

Given that it is a very populous area with a variety of different people living there, 69 offences for anti-social behaviour and 24 shoplifting offenses seems about right. I'd be worried about the violent and sexual offenses but then I don't really know what that means or how it breaks down.

Interestingly though, if you look at the last 3 years, for Hackney, crime has fallen slightly. Hardly that "crime epidemic" everyone seems to be talking about. And just for reference, according to the right wing press, I am pretty sure we have been living through one crime epidemic or another throughout my whole life.
Original post by hotpud
True. But if I look at the crime for Hackney is it really a million miles from what we might expect?

https://www.police.uk/pu/your-area/metropolitan-police-service/hackney-central/

Given that it is a very populous area with a variety of different people living there, 69 offences for anti-social behaviour and 24 shoplifting offenses seems about right. I'd be worried about the violent and sexual offenses but then I don't really know what that means or how it breaks down.

Interestingly though, if you look at the last 3 years, for Hackney, crime has fallen slightly. Hardly that "crime epidemic" everyone seems to be talking about. And just for reference, according to the right wing press, I am pretty sure we have been living through one crime epidemic or another throughout my whole life.

Yeah that's all true- I'm not as hawkish on law and order as hermit is. Although I do think it is s problem esp when we are importing it here from abroad.
Reply 15
Yeah that's all true- I'm not as hawkish on law and order as hermit is. Although I do think it is s problem esp when we are importing it here from abroad.

We are importing what from abroad? Crime? Eh? Are you telling me that crime is primarily committed by foreign offenders? Were the Kray twins immigrants?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
We are importing what from abroad? Crime? Eh? Are you telling me that crime is primarily committed by foreign offenders? Were the Kray twins immigrants?

Lol Obviously we've always had crime. That's a really dumb point that liberals think is really clever.

As in we wouldn't have had these suicide bombings etc if we'd have had a tough immigration system like Poland (who hasn't had anyway near the problems we and other countries have).
Sure and I agree with you on that but my point is we could still have had stupid Zionist wars and not had terrorism due to high levels of immigration.

Sure and we should not have done that but we also shouldn't have let those people in.

Sure but even if Poland nuked Mecca Poland wouldn't suffer domestically because there are very few Muslims living there.

Reply 18
Lol Obviously we've always had crime. That's a really dumb point that liberals think is really clever.

As in we wouldn't have had these suicide bombings etc if we'd have had a tough immigration system like Poland (who hasn't had anyway near the problems we and other countries have).

I believe the murder of Jo Cox was counted as a terrorist attack. Thomas Alexander Mair was about as British as they come so I don't really see what your point is.

As for Poland - do you really want to live in the land where the only meals you can get from your local restaurant are fermented soup made with sour rye flour or sauerkraut (fermented cabbage)? It is immigration that has made this country great, not the other way round as Little Islanders would have us believe. It is only when new ideas and ways of doing things mix into the pot that you innovate. What did Poland ever invent?
Reply 19
You make a fair point. I don't live in an upper middle class suburb but I do live in a suburb where the local Facebook group loves to witter on about how crime is getting out of control even when there are only a dozen or so reported crimes a month. I am always pretty much convinced that fear of crime and perceived crime always supersedes actual crime.

As for countries like Japan which has a 99% conviction rate that sees innocent people confess to crimes they didn't commit, Singapore where dropping gum can see you fined $1000 or the UAE where men can be arrested if they wear shorts that are too short and stag dos involving men dressing as women would be a major offense.

Do you really want to live in a country like that? The UK isn't perfect, but it is a pretty liberal country where you can express yourself more less as you please without being judged by the law. I don't want to live in a country full of petty laws and regulations thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending