Tanyme
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a private candidate, hoping to achieve triple A* in Bio, Chem, Phys. But my GCSEs are really low, i mostly got 4s and 5s, 26s and one 8. I didn't sit the exams due to covid in 2020, they're all teacher assessed.

Most medicine courses ask for at least 6s in Maths and Eng Lang. Ive got a 6 in maths but a 4 in english. Should i resit english? And how would that affect my application?

I am thinking of taking a gap year, applying to university when i have my results for medicine.

Would i be able to get into a good university (russel group) to study medicine with A levels grades achieved to triple A*s, high Ucat/ BMAT score and a lot of work experience, good personal statement and really low GCSEs? Will my GCSE grades pull my application down?

Thank you.
Last edited by Tanyme; 1 month ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Moved your thread to the medicine subforum.)

I strongly suspect that you need to retake GCSE English to be considered. That’s the way with most competitive courses, and I can’t imagine medicine being any different.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Resit GCSE English language. Most medical schools require a 6. I’d suggest applying for deferred entry if you want to tale a gap year. Just avoid GCSE heavy medical schools such as Cardiff, Oxford, Leeds or Birmingham. Remember that you will graduate as a doctor so the prestige of the university does not matter.
Last edited by hungrysalamander; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
86.71%
No (19)
13.29%

Watched Threads