The Student Room Group

Coming late to Uni, making friends

My visa was late so I just missed out on fresher's week but am moving in this Tuesday to my flat. I am so scared abt making friends- Freshers week is the week ppl make friends, I'm worried that ppl will be closed off now that they've settled in. I've had no social interaction in a long time bcz my sister & friends have been gone for a while. I'm also socially stunted and have some phycological wounds from the past which hurt my social abilities. I'm also not British and have never met a British individual so I don't know what to expect from them or if I'll fit in. Any tips?
Although freshers week is a good time to meet new people, there are plenty of other opportunities for you to meet others too. Have a look at the societies available at ur uni, see if you can find any you are interested in, they are another good way to meet like minded people and make friends. You will also meet new people when you start going to lectures. Try to keep an open mind about things and take things one step at a time. Remember that other people are in a similar boat to you, being nervous about their new start, and will be eager to make friends. Try and get involved with as much as you can, but of course don't do anything you are uncomfortable with. Say yes to things, invite yourself to things, and most importantly have fun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending