The Student Room Group

Applying to MIT and Harvard.

Hi guys, I live in the uk and I’m currently in year 12. I’m doing 4 A-Levels ; physics, computer science, maths, further maths and I am predicted to get A* in all 4 A-Level.

I was wonder what my chances would be of getting into MIT or Harvard since I live in the uk and don’t have any sort of visa to live in the US and would require financial support. Can anyone help?
low like everyone else but if you want to try out you should

visas are ex post so you don't need one beforehand, and both universities have billions of dollars available for financial support and many students receive it
Reply 2
Thanks, when do you think I should start applying because I’ve seen people get accepted to Harvard 2025 which got me confused since that is about 4 years away? Do people really have to apply 4 years prior or am I missing something here?
Original post by Matcccc
Thanks, when do you think I should start applying because I’ve seen people get accepted to Harvard 2025 which got me confused since that is about 4 years away? Do people really have to apply 4 years prior or am I missing something here?

Class of 2025 --> thats the year they graduate in.
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
low like everyone else but if you want to try out you should

visas are ex post so you don't need one beforehand, and both universities have billions of dollars available for financial support and many students receive it

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Matcccc
Hi guys, I live in the uk and I’m currently in year 12. I’m doing 4 A-Levels ; physics, computer science, maths, further maths and I am predicted to get A* in all 4 A-Level.

I was wonder what my chances would be of getting into MIT or Harvard since I live in the uk and don’t have any sort of visa to live in the US and would require financial support. Can anyone help?

I would look at the international study forum as it has a whole section on studying in North America with so much information and advice - you'll find everything you need there :smile:

Financial aid is dependant on your family income so if you are from a low income family you could essentially pay no fees but if you are not then US unis are incredibly expensive which means a lot of people just can't afford it! It's worth looking at them though as their aid can be really good.

You also need ECs and not just grades - grades won't get you to the top unis as they want you to be a well rounded individual who does other things as well as study. Think sports, maths olympiads, leadership roles etc.
Original post by Matcccc

US uni degrees are 4 years long instead of 3 so that is an added consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending