Suspending studies due to loss of father now what?

Watch
DazzaHatty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there.

I'm suspending my university studies due to the loss of my father July 11th 2021. My Student Hub and my Department of Study had a meeting to discuss my circumstances.
They mutually agreed that I won't progress to the final stage of my degree for now. And suspend my studies for a year.

I understand I won't have my student finance for this coming year but, what do I do now?
I tried to ask the person I was speaking to if I'm entitled to benefits like UC. She wasn't too sure. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
AFAIK you are entitled to claim UC in this circumstance and wouldn't officially count as a 'student' again till you re enrolled (there is no guarantee you will return to study, in contrast to a naturally progressing student). I did much the same when my mum passed last year.

The magic words the DWP really want to hear are that you are willing and available for full time work.
DazzaHatty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
AFAIK you are entitled to claim UC in this circumstance and wouldn't officially count as a 'student' again till you re enrolled (there is no guarantee you will return to study, in contrast to a naturally progressing student). I did much the same when my mum passed last year.

The magic words the DWP really want to hear are that you are willing and available for full time work.
So I am eligible to work full time?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DazzaHatty)
So I am eligible to work full time?
I'm not an expert in this, but I don't see why not? assuming you have the basic rights to reside and work in the UK in general? There was nothing stopping you legally working while a student either.

I do know the issue you and the student support are talking about, the DWP can be a little bit funny about supporting anyone who is learning/enrolled somewhere, even out with term times as they feel your student funding should cover all 12 months of your academic year, not just 8/9, students trying to claim for summer holidays run into this)

My advice is not to muddy the waters with the DWP and make it clear you are not presently a student or getting finance/loans, you MIGHT decide to return, you MIGHT not, but for NOW you are available and willing to work, that's the key to a rapid claim imo.

IMO you become a student when you are enrolled in a course, not when you are are merely holding a place (such as deferrals & suspended study) as you could theoretically decline them right up until the due day next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
54.93%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.79%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.92%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.15%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.58%

Watched Threads