The Student Room Group

Y9 GCSE advice

Hey guys how ya all doing?
I was just wondering if any of you have completed your GCSE's and have got any regrets or mistakes you made during your GCSE course .
Thanks!!
Original post by Dynamic echo
Hey guys how ya all doing?
I was just wondering if any of you have completed your GCSE's and have got any regrets or mistakes you made during your GCSE course .
Thanks!!

my main pieces of advice:
1. don't spend all of your time reading textbooks, highlighting, making notes and other passive revision methods - i know a lot of students who did this and never really actually revised and learnt anything, so when they got bad results, they didn't know what had gone wrong when they had spent hours "revising" - just try to use active methods as much as you can when you want to revise
2. dont always measure your revision based on time. i feel like its common to be like "how many hours should i study?", try to measure it based off of what you actually get done!
3. don't overwork yourself! I think a lot of people sometimes overdo the gcse revision, so just be mindful to not overwork yourself and burn yourself out!
4. little and often is better than cramming!
are there any things you wish you didn't do or did do that could have given you a higher grade or score on your actual tests?
Original post by Dynamic echo
are there any things you wish you didn't do or did do that could have given you a higher grade or score on your actual tests?

Hi @Dynamic echo,
Good question. I think you should always revise for any little test, and then make notes on any mistakes you made. Also, use the revision guides which I mentioned above - they contain past paper questions and answers, but specifically those questions which are really challenging - which will help you get the top grades.
Also, start reading the revision guides EARLY. Don't wait until halfway through Year 10 to start. If you get a headstart, you will feel much better. Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest