Feel like I’ll be too close to home at uni

Watch
Lucasfrost._
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m moving to Cardiff next Saturday staying in halls however I only live in the city next door about 15 minutes away, I know I’ll be staying in accommodation so there is a sense of independence there however I just think I’m too close to home and the fact I know cardiff quite well already I’m kind of wishing I had chose to go further away to uni to experience a new city and have a bigger change in my life.
Any thoughts on this?
Jonodeer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This was the exact reasons i chose to go to Cardiff actually, its 4 hours away from where i live and theres no way of running into someone i know. However it certainly has its disadvantages, I cant get home very easily for family events, and i can't afford to go home often so whereas my brother can nip home for the weekend, i only come home during the holidays. And then once i am home i cant meet up with uni friends easily. Plus i didnt know a single person before moving to Cardiff so those first weeks of finding friends and working out where everything is, was quite lonely and overwhelming

It can be quite useful knowing the city well, it can help you make friends as their will be plenty of people who dont have a clue where anything is. Also just because you know the city quite well, you dont neccaserily know it as a student. There is plenty to the uni social experience than just the clubs and pubs. There are loads of societies where you will meet loads of different people.

If you want to be as independent as possible id avoid going home too often. Plus living with your parents is much different to living on your own. Although you may have been quite independent like i was when living it home, you'll be surprised at the difference when living in halls
Lucasfrost._
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi thanks for your input that’s made me feel a lot better tbf, cardiff is a great city with loads to do so I’m sure I’ll be ok I was just a bit worried I would get bored due to how familiar it is.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've moved this thread to the Cardiff University section, as you may get more replies in here
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lucasfrost._)
So I’m moving to Cardiff next Saturday staying in halls however I only live in the city next door about 15 minutes away, I know I’ll be staying in accommodation so there is a sense of independence there however I just think I’m too close to home and the fact I know cardiff quite well already I’m kind of wishing I had chose to go further away to uni to experience a new city and have a bigger change in my life.
Any thoughts on this?
Hello!

I only moved 30 minutes away to my university and York is the city I go to for big shops, days out and eating out as I come from a very small town. It couldn't have been more familiar.

To be honest it has been a blessing more than a curse. I have seen the city in a completely new light, found places and streets I had never been near before, met so many different people and found my independence and made the city my own. I can still visit York with my home friends and family and it can feel like a completely different experience to when I am here running errands or out with uni friends! It is strange!

It is also quite nice to make the adjustment to university life. It can be really scary as it is all so new and you have to find your own routine and independence but being somewhere that you know makes it that little bit easier.

I think the strangest experience I have had from my locality is leading a whole flat party to the club from student accommodation. My student teacher skills really came into play, it was like an odd school trip.

Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (12)
50%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
12.5%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
12.5%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
4.17%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
8.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed