annajmoss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I graduated with a 2:1 in History around 3 years ago with A Levels of BCC (English, Psychology and History). I worked in London for a bit and now I've been working in a veterinary practice as a nursing assistant for around a year. My plan currently is that April next year my company are going to put me forward for Veterinary Nursing. Since school I wanted to study Vet Med but sadly my school made me feel a bit like I couldn't do it. I've looked into it a fair bit and have seen the Year Zero options at Liverpool and Nottingham etc. The Liverpool one does not have the same A Level requirements as ones such as Bristol etc.

Was wondering if anyone has any experiences of applying to Vet Med through other routes aside from A Level from after school? Like re-sitting A Levels, foundation courses etc - And suggestions they may have? Or just any general tips!

Thank you :-)
Cam_Sam_01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by annajmoss)
Hi guys,

I graduated with a 2:1 in History around 3 years ago with A Levels of BCC (English, Psychology and History). I worked in London for a bit and now I've been working in a veterinary practice as a nursing assistant for around a year. My plan currently is that April next year my company are going to put me forward for Veterinary Nursing. Since school I wanted to study Vet Med but sadly my school made me feel a bit like I couldn't do it. I've looked into it a fair bit and have seen the Year Zero options at Liverpool and Nottingham etc. The Liverpool one does not have the same A Level requirements as ones such as Bristol etc.

Was wondering if anyone has any experiences of applying to Vet Med through other routes aside from A Level from after school? Like re-sitting A Levels, foundation courses etc - And suggestions they may have? Or just any general tips!

Thank you :-)
Hey! I’m looking at this course for medicine, I’m similar to you, I have a degree but not in a allied subject and only one science for A Level. This course seems almost to good to be true and I’m where’s the catch..!

In terms of other access courses I’m not sure how it works for vets and what background you are from, but there’s a big push to help those from disadvantaged backgrounds. If this fits for you then definitely look at graduate vet entry as you have a degree, and then entry requirements tend to be more lenient.

Other than that I’m not sure about stand alone foundation courses that will guarantee you a place to study vet med after, a lot of them say they’ll boost your application but it’s a lot of money for very little security at the end!
annajmoss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply! Most of the foundation courses (if you get in) guarantee you a place on the course, but I can imagine they’re even more competitive than usual! Plus, some of them still require A levels I don’t have … so it’s weighing up redoing my a levels to get the grades for normal entry or for the entry course 😬
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads