The Student Room Group

Formula Student Final Year project

Hi, I have been offered a formula student project for my Final Year project. However I an struggling to decide if I should go for it due to the added work load and difficulty involved that might hinder my final grade. Does Formula Student on a CV look good or do employers not really care? I am not necessarily looking a job in an automotive area.
Many Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
If you want to work in motorsport or automotive it can be useful.

Even if you wanted to work in engineering or non-engineering industry can be good as long as you can explain what skills you used.
Original post by Qwerty58
Hi, I have been offered a formula student project for my Final Year project. However I an struggling to decide if I should go for it due to the added work load and difficulty involved that might hinder my final grade. Does Formula Student on a CV look good or do employers not really care? I am not necessarily looking a job in an automotive area.
Many Thanks

It’s useful if your interested in auto/motorsport industries but otherwise it’s just an interesting project. So maye useful for discussing in interviews & things but in the same manner that lots of projects are.
I did an FS related group project in my final year (front and rear wings) and I feel it didn't really help/make me stand out. There are many, many students involved in FS these days, and the vast majority of grads will have some form of interesting project work to talk about.

Employers are more interested in work experience, so direct experience in a role will trump any kind of extracurricular activity or course choice. Also getting an "in" with a company in the form of knowing someone there and perhaps getting a referral of some kind will help more than what you've actually done at uni.

You may also want to leave a bit of breathing room at the end of your course to be able to focus and apply to jobs. A big FS project can involve hundreds of hours work over a semester so something else to consider.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest