Cap on how many students admitted

Watch this thread
Anewlight
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
How do students repeating the year, taking a year out affect the cap for the year they later join? Are these excluded from the cap on the number of students accepted for that new cohort? Isn't it quite unpredictable? Does it affect the offers that are given out for the new cohort?
Anewlight
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Helenia becausethenight ecolier GANFYD, might you know?
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anewlight)
Helenia becausethenight ecolier GANFYD, might you know?
There are usually very few people repeating years, so would not have a big effect.
I doubt med schools cut numbers of applicants down, as at the point of making offers, they will not know how many are going to fail first year and be allowed to resit?
Anewlight
Rep:
(Original post by GANFYD)
There are usually very few people repeating years, so would not have a big effect.
I doubt med schools cut numbers of applicants down, as at the point of making offers, they will not know how many are going to fail first year and be allowed to resit?
Thanks GANFYD, that's what I was thinking too, but with how strict the caps on numbers are, I wondered how this gets managed and the impact on offers given out. There must be some flexibility in the system then!
GANFYD
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Thanks GANFYD, that's what I was thinking too, but with how strict the caps on numbers are, I wondered how this gets managed and the impact on offers given out. There must be some flexibility in the system then!
This is why med schools are not keen on students repeating years, and many only give 1 resit (in Aug) and fail it, and you are out!
Anewlight
Rep:
(Original post by GANFYD)
This is why med schools are not keen on students repeating years, and many only give 1 resit (in Aug) and fail it, and you are out!
Oh I did not know that and thought everyone is normally allowed to repeat the year if they fail the resit!
GANFYD
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Oh I did not know that and thought everyone is normally allowed to repeat the year if they fail the resit!
Nope, some med schools terminate your place if you do not pass the year at first sitting or resit without ExCircs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (9)
20.45%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
9.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
9.09%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
11.36%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (11)
25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
25%

Watched Threads