wtvname
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
#1
hi guys - i am applying to Econ and have received A*A*A UCAS grades (plus a native language a level A*) from my school. My school wants me to put an option with a B, as my third subject (an irrelevant science) was upgraded from B to A after I did well on the resit. However, I don't have an AAB courses that I like. Given that I have 2 AAA courses that accept native language on the list, Should I ignore their advice?
0
reply
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 weeks ago
#2
(Original post by wtvname)
hi guys - i am applying to Econ and have received A*A*A UCAS grades (plus a native language a level A*) from my school. My school wants me to put an option with a B, as my third subject (an irrelevant science) was upgraded from B to A after I did well on the resit. However, I don't have an AAB courses that I like. Given that I have 2 AAA courses that accept native language on the list, Should I ignore their advice?
I would.

If there’s nothing thing in the AAB range that appeals, just apply to four choices now. Wait and see what replies you start to get, then submit a fifth choice before the January deadline.
1
reply
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#3
Report 4 weeks ago
#3
(Original post by wtvname)
hi guys - i am applying to Econ and have received A*A*A UCAS grades (plus a native language a level A*) from my school. My school wants me to put an option with a B, as my third subject (an irrelevant science) was upgraded from B to A after I did well on the resit. However, I don't have an AAB courses that I like. Given that I have 2 AAA courses that accept native language on the list, Should I ignore their advice?
If they suspect you will get a grade B I would follow their advice. In normal exam years 75% dont reach their predicted grades and it certainly seems they have doubts about you achieving it. You could gamble on AAA. How would you feel if you missed the grades and ended up in clearing. I would go with your school. They know you better than anyone on here,
0
reply
Courtesy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
#4
Report 4 weeks ago
#4
(Original post by wtvname)
hi guys - i am applying to Econ and have received A*A*A UCAS grades (plus a native language a level A*) from my school. My school wants me to put an option with a B, as my third subject (an irrelevant science) was upgraded from B to A after I did well on the resit. However, I don't have an AAB courses that I like. Given that I have 2 AAA courses that accept native language on the list, Should I ignore their advice?
For Econ, the reputation of the university matters a lot, so I would advise you to pick your universities really carefully. There are not that many good econ courses with AAA requirements. Targets are Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick. Semi-targets are Durham/Nottingham/Bristol/Bath. All these universities have really good economics courses, most of them require A*AA. I would advise you to apply to these unis (I'm assuming you're studying A-level Maths). Note that Oxbridge/LSE/UCL needs further maths.

What career are you looking to pursue?
Last edited by Courtesy; 4 weeks ago
0
reply
wtvname
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
#5
(Original post by swanseajack1)
If they suspect you will get a grade B I would follow their advice. In normal exam years 75% dont reach their predicted grades and it certainly seems they have doubts about you achieving it. You could gamble on AAA. How would you feel if you missed the grades and ended up in clearing. I would go with your school. They know you better than anyone on here,
Their advice is that I put an AAB course anyways and wait until May to decide whether AAB is necessary as insurance. I think the main issue is that I have 3 AAA (accepting native language) which I prefer a lot more than Southampton (the AAB course), so it makes me quite sad to eliminate at least one of them to put an AAB course I don't really like. Though so, those 3 AAAs are all quite competitive RGUs so it does worry me a bit. I am also aware that Econ courses of top unis are unlikely to end up in clearing.
0
reply
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#6
Report 4 weeks ago
#6
(Original post by wtvname)
Their advice is that I put an AAB course anyways and wait until May to decide whether AAB is necessary as insurance. I think the main issue is that I have 3 AAA (accepting native language) which I prefer a lot more than Southampton (the AAB course), so it makes me quite sad to eliminate at least one of them to put an AAB course I don't really like. Though so, those 3 AAAs are all quite competitive RGUs so it does worry me a bit. I am also aware that Econ courses of top unis are unlikely to end up in clearing.
You could leave one spot empty to see how you get on in the slightly iffy science subject. If by the end of the term you're finding it difficult and look to be heading for a B then lower your sights; if you're doing well then take the more optimistic path.
Last edited by ageshallnot; 4 weeks ago
0
reply
wtvname
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#7
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
#7
(Original post by Courtesy)
For Econ, the reputation of the university matters a lot, so I would advise you to pick your universities really carefully. There are not that many good econ courses with AAA requirements. Targets are Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick. Semi-targets are Durham/Nottingham/Bristol/Bath. All these universities have really good economics courses, most of them require A*AA. I would advise you to apply to these unis (I'm assuming you're studying A-level Maths). Note that Oxbridge/LSE/UCL needs further maths.

What career are you looking to pursue?
I'm applying Oxbridge (not E&M), E&M for Durham, Bristol and considering Edinburgh, Manchester and UCL (but for Management Science). I am aware that my options are all on the competitive side. Career wise, I'm looking at asset management, consultancy, or a law conversion course at the end but not IB.
0
reply
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#8
Report 4 weeks ago
#8
(Original post by wtvname)
Their advice is that I put an AAB course anyways and wait until May to decide whether AAB is necessary as insurance. I think the main issue is that I have 3 AAA (accepting native language) which I prefer a lot more than Southampton (the AAB course), so it makes me quite sad to eliminate at least one of them to put an AAB course I don't really like. Though so, those 3 AAAs are all quite competitive RGUs so it does worry me a bit. I am also aware that Econ courses of top unis are unlikely to end up in clearing.
The problem is your teachers know you and nobody on here does. Allied to that as said previously over prediction is more often than note the case. If they suspect you wont meet a grade and need a lower graded university they are best placed to advise you. If they think AAB is needed for a safety I think they are best placed to give that advice. If you reach one of the higher offers you wont be going there anyway. It is an insurance should things go wrong. The worst case scenario is you could apply to all higher grades not reach them and then end up in clearing,. How would you feel should that happen and you would have less choice than now.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads

View All