Qwerty985
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I am currently in my second year of college and i am predicted AAB for my A level courses which include Business, Law and Psychology but I want to study an Economics and management course at university. My GCSE's include an average of grade 6 however my maths GCSE is at grade 4. I would like to know that if i resit my maths GCSE in November and achieve a grade 6 when exam results are released in January, will i able to apply for university that include maths GCSE at grade 6 and still apply for top universities and will i need to make contacts with universities since the deadline of application for my college is around November.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the Nov resits are only for those who receieved Tags last summer - ie. not avaailble to Y13 resits - so a June resit is your only option. Resitting GCSE maths in June would be fine btw, you would just add it to your 'pending qualifications' and any offer would include it as an extra condirion.
Unis are perfectly okay about GCSE resits, if your predicted grade is high enough your application will be treated just the same as anyone with thata s an acheived grade.
Qwerty985
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
I think the Nov resits are only for those who receieved Tags last summer - ie. not avaailble to Y13 resits - so a June resit is your only option. Resitting GCSE maths in June would be fine btw, you would just add it to your 'pending qualifications' and any offer would include it as an extra condirion.
Unis are perfectly okay about GCSE resits, if your predicted grade is high enough your application will be treated just the same as anyone with thata s an acheived grade.
Thank you for the feedback,i just want to also say that are GCSE's an important element in the university application. For example, for studying Economics and Management the requirements under UCAS states that applicants should have grade 6 in maths and english which I have for english but not for maths but say i do achieve the alevel grades needed to get onto the course, will this compensate for my math grade.

in other words, will universities turn an applicant down if they have the alevel grades but not GCSE if i was to not resit and stick with my original grade in GCSE maths.

Also, are Universities lenient when looking at applicant GCSE grades?
Last edited by Qwerty985; 4 weeks ago
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Qwerty985)
Are Universities lenient when looking at applicant GCSE grades?
No, and No.
GCSEs are about basic skills - and if you dont have the required Maths grade they know you will struggle on the course.
That is why they want it - and why you will get an instant rejection if you apply without it.

Either resit it this summer, or apply somewhere else.
It really is that simple.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (10)
58.82%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (1)
5.88%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (2)
11.76%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
5.88%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
17.65%

Watched Threads