why do inverse functions only exist for one to one functions

Watch
rxrx2004
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
like y=x^2 is a many to one function, but it has an inverse as it can be reflected in the line y=x?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by rxrx2004)
like y=x^2 is a many to one function, but it has an inverse as it can be reflected in the line y=x?
At a very simple level you want the property

f^{-1}(f(x)) = x
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 months ago
Pangol
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Part of the definition of a function is that it has to be well-defined, in the sense that if you are given a value to plug in, you get one value out. In your example (but using functional notation), if f(x) = x2, then, for example, f(1) = 1 and f(-1) = 1. But what would be f-1(1)?
Last edited by Pangol; 3 months ago
rxrx2004
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
At a very simple level you want the property

f^{-1}(f(x)) = x
but why

(Original post by Pangol)
Part of the definition of a function is that it has to be well-defined, in the sense that if you are given a value to plug in, you get one value out. In your example (but using functional notation), if f(x) = x2, then, for example, f(1) = 1 and f(-1) = 1. But what would be f-1(1)?
1 or -1
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
but why
https://learn.lboro.ac.uk/archive/ol..._functions.pdf
Is a pretty good overview. A function (forwards or inverse, they're both functions) should evaluate to a single value. The inverse function is defined as per the previous post.

This is why
sqrt(2^2) = 2
i.e. its defined to be the positive root (single valued).
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
1 or -1
Functions only have a single output.

You cannot say that f^{-1}(1) = \pm 1 because that’s two outputs … so f^{-1} is not an inverse function …
Pangol
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
1 or -1
Well that's the problem. If f-1 were a function, you would be able to tell me the one value of f-1(1). But there isn't a single value, so it is not a function.
Last edited by Pangol; 3 months ago
rxrx2004
Rep:
https://learn.lboro.ac.uk/archive/ol..._functions.pdf
Is a pretty good overview. A function (forwards or inverse, they're both functions) should evaluate to a single value. The inverse function is defined as per the previous post.

This is why
sqrt(2^2) = 2
i.e. its defined to be the positive root (single valued).
ok thanks

(Original post by RDKGames)
Functions only have a single output.

You cannot say that f^{-1}(1) = \pm 1 because that’s two outputs … so f^{-1} is not an inverse function …
thanks

Well that's the problem. If f-1 were a function, you would be able to tell me the one value of f-1(1). But there isn't a single value, so it is not a function.
thanks
rxrx2004
Rep:
wait so y=x^2 isnt a function then?
Last edited by rxrx2004; 3 months ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yes it is, it evaluates to a single value.
its inverse however is only defined on the functions domain x>=0
Pangol
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You don't run into the problem with f(x) = x2. For any value of x, there is only one value of x2.
rxrx2004
Rep:
You don't run into the problem with f(x) = x2. For any value of x, there is only one value of x2.
Yes it is, it evaluates to a single value.
its inverse however is only defined on the functions domain x>=0
oh ok.
so y=root x isnt a function..i think i get it now
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
oh ok.
It is a function, as its single valued. It returns positive values (and 0).
Pangol
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
oh ok.
Well it is, because the definition of square root is to take the positive root. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, it's just the case that the square of negative 3 is also 9.
rxrx2004
Rep:
Well it is, because the definition of square root is to take the positive root. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, it's just the case that the square of negative 3 is also 9.
but-but i always thought that you add a plus-minus sign at the front of a square root

It is a function, as its single valued. It returns positive values (and 0).
but if you reflect the graph of y=x^2 in the line y=x you'd get a graph for which it returns two values?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
but-but i always thought that you add a plus-minus sign at the front of a square root

but if you reflect the graph of y=x^2 in the line y=x you'd get a graph for which it returns two values?
The +/- reflects the fact that sqrt() returns a positive value.
You have to multiply it by -1 to get the corresponding negative root as it is defined to return the (single valued) positive value.

If it returned both values (it doesn't) there would be no need to write the +/-.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads