The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

2nd/3rd year Psychology

Hey guys!

A few questions for current and former DMU students who study Psychology.

What is the timetable like for 2nd and 3rd year?

How much coursework/exams are there for both years?

When do exams finish?

Lastly, how much of the content is currently online, and will exams be online?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys!

A few questions for current and former DMU students who study Psychology.

What is the timetable like for 2nd and 3rd year?

How much coursework/exams are there for both years?

When do exams finish?

Lastly, how much of the content is currently online, and will exams be online?

Hi,

It's great to hear that you are interested in the Psychology Course here at De Montfort University!

My name is Becka and I am a fourth-year Psychology Student here at De Montfort University who has undertaken a placement year. :smile:

The timetable changes a lot after your first year, currently, I am in my final year and I have 4-6 hours of lectures/ contact hours a week which leaves me plenty of time to study, write my dissertation and work in my part-time job. In the second year, you would have more lecture/ contact hours, with Covid-19, it is hard for me to determine how many hours you would have. This is due to the course being restructured to benefit a hybrid learning environment! However, for a typical second-year student you would have upwards of 10 hours of contact time; depending on the modules taken!

With coursework, this is also dependant on the module structure/ choice for the year which you can find out more here.

The majority of modules will have some coursework either in the form of a traditional essay, research participation or employability portfolios. Recently there has been a re-structure in my course where before Christmas all modules learnt are only coursework based with no exam whereas after Christmas and the start of the new term the modules will be a mix of coursework and exams!

I know this is a little confusing so let me know if you need any clarification but, this change means that it is much easier to study and not have to work on different modules at the same time which students are enjoying (myself included :smile:)! I sadly cannot give you a number of how many coursework pieces you would get as this changes each year.

Exams tend to finish in May/June time; for myself, my exams have always finished in early/mid-June but, again this can depend on what module you are taking!

Currently, as I am a final year most of my contact hours are on campus in person ( with covid safety requirements :smile:) I only have one lecture every other week online; however this is different for different years, for example, final years currently have more face to face lectures and seminars as we are writing our dissertation this year but, De Montfort University aims for all students to have as many face to face lectures as possible as long as it is safe and within government guidelines.

This year it seems likely that exams will be online but, we have not had confirmation yet. For new students it is hard to say if exams will be online as the situation with Covid-19 is still here and changes regularly; sorry that I cannot give more information!

I hope this helps to answer your questions and please do get in touch here if you need any more help. :smile:

Thanks,

Becka
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi,

It's great to hear that you are interested in the Psychology Course here at De Montfort University!

My name is Becka and I am a fourth-year Psychology Student here at De Montfort University who has undertaken a placement year. :smile:

The timetable changes a lot after your first year, currently, I am in my final year and I have 4-6 hours of lectures/ contact hours a week which leaves me plenty of time to study, write my dissertation and work in my part-time job. In the second year, you would have more lecture/ contact hours, with Covid-19, it is hard for me to determine how many hours you would have. This is due to the course being restructured to benefit a hybrid learning environment! However, for a typical second-year student you would have upwards of 10 hours of contact time; depending on the modules taken!

With coursework, this is also dependant on the module structure/ choice for the year which you can find out more here.

The majority of modules will have some coursework either in the form of a traditional essay, research participation or employability portfolios. Recently there has been a re-structure in my course where before Christmas all modules learnt are only coursework based with no exam whereas after Christmas and the start of the new term the modules will be a mix of coursework and exams!

I know this is a little confusing so let me know if you need any clarification but, this change means that it is much easier to study and not have to work on different modules at the same time which students are enjoying (myself included :smile:)! I sadly cannot give you a number of how many coursework pieces you would get as this changes each year.

Exams tend to finish in May/June time; for myself, my exams have always finished in early/mid-June but, again this can depend on what module you are taking!

Currently, as I am a final year most of my contact hours are on campus in person ( with covid safety requirements :smile:) I only have one lecture every other week online; however this is different for different years, for example, final years currently have more face to face lectures and seminars as we are writing our dissertation this year but, De Montfort University aims for all students to have as many face to face lectures as possible as long as it is safe and within government guidelines.

This year it seems likely that exams will be online but, we have not had confirmation yet. For new students it is hard to say if exams will be online as the situation with Covid-19 is still here and changes regularly; sorry that I cannot give more information!

I hope this helps to answer your questions and please do get in touch here if you need any more help. :smile:

Thanks,

Becka

Thanks for the response Becka.

Question - Do DMU accept 3rd year transfers onto the BSc Psychology course? I know 2nd year transfers are valid, but info is needed on year 3.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the response Becka.

Question - Do DMU accept 3rd year transfers onto the BSc Psychology course? I know 2nd year transfers are valid, but info is needed on year 3.

Hi Anonymous #!,

No problem :smile:

I sadly do not have any information on transfers in third year. They are some cases but, this is rare; however, it is important to get in touch with the Admissions Office of the university you would like to transfer to. Every case is different so it is important to reach out and see what action we can take.

If you would like to transfer to DMU please find our contact info here.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Becka

4th Year Psychology student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending